Styling Summer School
So you'd like to be a stylist? This LCF Study Abroad summer school will provide you with an in depth and invaluable insight into what it takes.
Once a designer’s vision is complete, the journey doesn’t finish there..it's just the beginning. The masterpiece is then paired with other parts of the puzzle - to produce a polished image to convey a message and a feeling. From still life, to models, to celebrities, we live in a world full of thought provoking imagery, artistically created by meticulous stylists, technical photographers and precise art directors. As glamorous as it may seem, have you ever wondered what happens behind the scenes (from idea concept through to the final visual outcome) in order to achieve the 'hero' shot?
This course will provide you with an in depth insight into the life of a stylist. You will gain a thorough understanding of the key roles and responsibilities of a stylist, hair and make up artist, designer, photographer, and art director. You will look at what an assistant would do, and how you might eventually become established in the fashion image creation arena. We will investigate many aspects, from multi channel media to television and film, to the current 'craze' of celebrity styling.
As well as learning about trend analysis, the importance of networking and relationships with PRs, and creating a targeted portfolio; you will develop a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of styling on a photo shoot/film. A fashion and culture field trip to Paris is included.
You will cover:
- Shoot concepts
- Fashion image analysis
- Mood board
- Styling to suit various fashion genres
- Styling for body types
- Street style
- Styling kit
- Requesting samples from PRs / sourcing & returns
- Fashion editing & run throughs
- Giving direction to achieve a desired image result
- Working with photographers, hair and makeup artists & models
- Team work
- Project management
- Conceptual editorial styling vs sales driven commercial styling
Fashion photography & makeup:
- Fashion hair and makeup
- Composition, colour & mood
- Studio shoots vs location shoots
- Working with a photographer
- Creating a visual reference board
- Enhancing your work to achieve perfection