skip to main content

Application advice

Explore our advice for international students on: how to apply, what documents we’ll need from you and how to apply for a visa to study in the UK.

How to apply

International students can apply to UAL courses through one of the following ways:

UAL representatives

Admission to UAL is competitive, so we advise you to apply as early as possible. Some courses have strict application deadlines.

Check individual course pages for specific information or contact one of our official representatives who can support you through the whole application process for free.

Find representatives


You can apply for Undergraduate courses through the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

This is particularly useful if you are applying to more than one university in the UK.

Find out more

Directly to UAL

Direct applications for pre-degree, undergraduate and postgraduate courses are made on our online application system and can be found in the 'How to Apply' section of your chosen course page.

Find out more


Supporting documents

As part of the application process, we usually require the following:

  • Personal statement
  • A copy of your academic transcripts (officially translated into English)
  • A copy of your English language certificate, if English is not your first language
  • A copy of your passport and any current UK visa
  • Immigration history form
  • A portfolio of relevant work for practice-based courses

Check the page of your course for specific details of supporting documents and entry requirements.

English language

If English isn’t your first language, you will need to prove your language level with a qualification like the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Find out more about English language Requirements and accepted qualifications.

You can still apply to a course with a different qualification. However, if you don't qualify for a testing exemption, you will need to have a valid English language qualification for both UAL and UKVI purposes.

UAL Language Centre offers a Presessional English programme to help you achieve the level required for your course without taking another English language test.


If you're not an EU, EEA or Swiss national, you will need a Tier 4 (General) visa to study in the UK.

The amount of time you can study in the UK is limited. You should plan your study carefully so you can complete all of your chosen courses.

Our Student Advice Service and our official representatives can help you with your visa application. Visit the Home Office and UK Council for International Student Affairs websites for official guidance.

Portfolio preparation

For subject like fine art, graphic design, fashion design, and other hands-on disciplines, you will need to submit a portfolio as part of your application.

A portfolio is a collection of your work and it helps us evaluate your potential.  

Find out more about what to include and how to present a successful portfolio, as well as our courses to help you prepare your portfolio.

The selection process

We process applications as soon as possible, but the time may vary depending on your course, College or how you applied.

If you applied through an official UAL representative

You can attend a face-to-face interview with one of our travelling academic staff. If you are not accepted on your chosen course, you may be offered a more suitable alternative at one of our other Colleges. This process applies to most Pre-degree and Undergraduate courses, and some Postgraduate courses.

If you applied through UCAS or directly to UAL

If you live outside the UK, you may be invited to a telephone interview. If you are already in the UK or you’re able to travel, we may invite you to face-to-face interview at your chosen College.

Find more about the selection process and what happens next.