The application process varies depending on the course you’ve chosen and whether you’re a Home or international student (your tuition fee status).
Foundation diplomas in Art and Design
Open to applications from Home and International students, this is a common route into practice-based undergraduate study at UAL.
Please note that Home students can only apply for one of these two courses.
At the point of applying you’ll be asked to say whether you’d like to apply in diagnostic or specialist mode (see the course pages for more information).
International Pre-degree Courses
These courses are only open to international students. They include English language support and academic writing guidance.
- International Introduction to the study of Design, Media and Screen (London College of Communication)
- Certificate in Higher Education: Preparation for Design, Media and Screen (London College of Communication)
- International: Introduction to the Study of Fashion (London College of Fashion)
- International Preparation for Fashion - Certificate in Higher Education (London College of Fashion)
- Pre-degree: Online
How to apply
- Home students: Apply through the online application form on the course page.
- International students: Apply through one of our UAL representatives in your country. This is our recommended way to apply if you would like specialist advice about our courses and personalised support throughout the application process. Our in-country representatives can also offer guidance on visas and immigration, accommodation and much more. You can apply directly through the online application form on the course page as well.
Read our application guidance for international students.
Top tips for applying:
- Make sure you read all of the instructions on the course page carefully so that you don’t miss any important information.
- Check your spam folder regularly in case messages from us go into these folders.
When to apply
Applications for all of our pre-degree courses open in October. The deadlines are:
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design: You must apply by 1pm GMT on Wednesday 22 February 2023 for equal consideration. If you meet this deadline you should receive an answer from us by May 2023.
- International pre-degree courses at London College of Communication and London College of Fashion: You must apply by 1pm GMT on Wednesday 22 February 2023 for equal consideration.
What you’ll need to provide
Entry requirements vary from course to course so make sure you check the ‘How to apply’ section on your course page. However, for most of these courses you will need the following as part of your application:
- Academic and/or personal reference/s (this is not required for the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design)
- A 500-word personal statement. This is really important as it’s your opportunity to tell us about your relevant skills and experience and explain why you’ve chosen this course.
- A portfolio of work (which you’ll be asked for by email after you apply, usually within 2 weeks of submitting your application).
- Scanned copies of your qualifications: If you apply for the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design and we make you an offer, you’ll need to provide us with scanned copies of your qualifications via your UAL Portal by the deadline indicated in your offer letter.
What happens after you apply?
After you’ve applied, you’ll receive a confirmation email with your login details for the UAL Portal, which is where you may be asked to book an interview or provide additional information. Please make sure you keep an eye on your emails and even your spam folder for messages from us through our UAL Portal.
Once you've applied, we will undertake a fee status assessment and immigration history checks. We do this to make sure you will be eligible to study the pre-degree course at UAL. This includes ensuring you meet funding requirements and current immigration rules. We will not be able to proceed with your application until you have submitted your completed Immigration History Form.
Once we’ve reviewed and assessed your application, we’ll contact you via the UAL Portal to let you know whether your application has been successful.