Skip to main content

Outgoing students

Why go abroad

  • Mobile graduates were more likely to obtain first-class honours or an upper second-class degree (91.6%) than non-mobile graduates (80%).
  • Six months after graduating only 3.1% of mobile graduates were unemployed, compared to 4.2% of non-mobile graduates.
  • Mobile graduates who were working in full-time, paid employment had an average salary of £23,482, compared to an average salary of £22,256 for non-graduates (a difference of 5.5%) six months after graduating.
  • Of all working, mobile graduates in the 2016−17 cohort, 78.3% secured a ‘graduate-level’ job within six months of graduating, compared to 73.2% of non-mobile graduates.

Source: Universities UK Outgoing International report

Who can go abroad

  • Second or third year undergraduate students (not first year) registered at UAL at the time of application
  • Postgraduate students (up to doctorate) registered at UAL at the time of application
  • UAL students enrolled on full time study at a partner institution for 3-12 months (or 1-3 terms)
  • Students enrolled in short term higher vocational education (this includes Foundation Degree) at the time of mobility. This will depend on the offer of the course you are attending.

Where you can go 

You can only apply for an exchange with an existing UAL partner.

Not all courses at UAL participate in exchange programmes. Look at the exchange offers linked to your course before exploring other options. When you're deciding where to go:

  • Check what matches your interests best.
  • Start networking: chat to visiting students or returning UAL students about the University you have in mind.
  • Look at student stories.
  • Get advice from the exchange coordinator or your Course Leader.

When you can go abroad

Most Erasmus and Turing scheme exchanges happen in the second year of an undergraduate degree.

When you can go, and how long you can go for, might depend on your College and course.

Contact your college International Officer to get:

  • a list of UAL exchange partners for your course
  • possible exchange dates
  • application deadlines.

How much it will cost

Tuition fees

You don't have to pay tuition fees to the host University. You will continue to pay tuition fees to UAL.

If you are abroad for the full academic year your rate will be reduced by 20% (approximately £1,340).

You will need to tell Student Finance that you will be studying abroad. They will assess how much loan you can get.

Funding schemes

Funding is available to support your mobility abroad, via the Turing@UAL Scheme and Erasmus+ Scheme.

The total duration of all Erasmus and Turing grants received may not exceed 12 months per study cycle.

How to apply

Start your application as soon as possible. This will allow time to resolve any issues or questions with your Course Leader or Programme Director.

Your place is guaranteed when

  • your place is confirmed at the host University
  • you comply with visa requirements
  • you comply with financial requirements.


You must enrol at UAL before you go on exchange, especially if your exchange is in the autumn term and you leave before the start of your home College year.

Non-enrolled students will not be covered by UAL insurance policy.

Contact us

If you would like more information about working or studying abroad, contact your Course Leader or speak to your College coordinator.