What is a portfolio?
We like to think of a portfolio as window into your world.
It is a collection of work that shows off your skills, personality and creativity. From initial sketches to contextual references and finished pieces, your portfolio should demonstrate your journey as an artist so far.
6 tips for your portfolio
- Show your range. Include pieces that show your ability to work with different materials, themes and techniques.
- Process over perfection. Include some unfinished work to show us how you research and develop your ideas.
- Create a strong narrative. Building a story with an impactful beginning and end will ensure you leave a lasting impression.
- Be decisive. If you can't explain a particular piece, don't include it. How you edit your work shows us your ability to work to a brief - a key skill for all creatives.
- Explain your vision. Include labels to guide us through your creative processes and vision.
- Take control. Show us what you want us to see, not what you think we want to see. Your personality, individuality and passion are your most powerful tools.
How to build a portfolio
How to submit your portfolio to UAL
There are 3 different ways to submit your portfolio depending on the course you've applied for and your applicant status.
Online portfolio submission
You may be asked to submit a digital portfolio through UAL’s online submission tool, PebblePad.
For some courses, you may be offered a place based on your digital portfolio. For others, you may also be invited to an interview where you can talk us through your portfolio. Please note, all interviews are currently held online either by phone or video.
Bring your portfolio to an interview
If you've been invited to an interview, you may also be asked to bring along your portfolio. Please note, all interviews are currently held online either by phone or video.
If you have applied through your local official UAL representative, you may be invited to an online interview with one of our academics. If you are unable to attend an interview, a digital portfolio may be accepted.