Who they're for
Anyone can apply to join a portfolio preparation course.
Students have developed portfolios to go on to:
- the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- BA and MA courses at UAL and other top institutions
- industry employment
- set up their own design studios or freelance art practice.
Portfolio preparation students have a high success rate of entering their first choice College.
What you'll learn
UAL tutors, alumni and practicing professionals will give you expert advice about application and interview processes. They'll help you develop your work so that it represents your individual approach and sets your portfolio above others.
You'll build a stronger portfolio by:
- exploring your potential within a wide range of art and design disciplines
- expanding your design skills, personal practice and challenging your design ideas
- experimenting, researching and documenting your progress
- discovering and developing your unique style and voice
- gaining confidence in your practice and ideas.
Learn more about portfolio preparation
From Graphics Folio to Masters Degree
Our short courses are ideal for anyone looking to kick start a change in their career! This is exactly what Ana Rita Otsuka, the focus of this student story, did, first attending our Graphics Folio course and then moving on to complete a Masters degree.
Learning how to build a portfolio to apply to art college
We hear from Toby Duncan who did our Portfolio Building 18+ short course. Here, he shares with us why he felt it was necessary to do the course prior to applying for an MA at arts college.