Whether you consider yourself a complete beginner or if you are studying art, design or fashion at school, this fashion summer school course will give you an experience of fashion as taught at UAL, developing your confidence in experimentation, idea generation and developing skills for your own creative process in fashion design. These will be important activities alongside creating work for your fashion portfolio.
Upon completion you will have a better understanding of a fashion portfolio through working on your own small fashion project. From research of inspiring images, objects or abstract thought, development in various forms to a mini fashion collection and small presentation. By documenting your creative processes, you will build content for your own fashion portfolio.
You will explore the process very much in the spirit of Central Saint Martins, where your own personal and explorative approach will be celebrated.
This promises to be an exciting and unique experience for any 16 to 18 year-old who is:
- Interested in developing their own creativity
- Building a portfolio for future studies
- Confident in learning from their mistakes
- Willing to work and collaborate with others during projects
- Wishing to develop their skills in communicating ideas.
Digital Credentials (badges and certificates)
Students will receive a UAL Short Courses digital badge and certificate on completion of the course. Digital credentials are a great way to celebrate your accomplishments and stand out from the crowd. Find out more about our digital badges and credentials.
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
If no dates are showing then please sign up to our mailing list to find out about upcoming dates and new course developments.
- Design Idea Generation
- 2D and 3D experimentation
- Mood board building
- Variety of experimental drawing techniques
- Design development
- Presentation and layout
- A4 Sketchbook or A4 folder with empty white pages
- A4 white copy paper
- Mixed drawing material; colour pencils, oil pastels, colour markers, pencils and whatever else you like to draw with
- Material to collage with; various paper and foil, old magazines to cut up
- some pieces of simple fabric / calico (wait before buying)
- scissors / standing knife and cutting mat
- glue / pritt stick
- fabric pins
Optional material which is good to have
- dressing stand / dummy (male, female, size does not matter) or a sibling/friend who is willing to model for a while
- printing facilities
Prior to the start of your course, please ensure you have:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection, we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net