skip to main content

Essential coronavirus info
We are continuing to welcome our new and returning students. Your safety is our first priority.

International students and money

Students with International fee status are charged different tuition fee amounts and have different funding options in comparison to students with Home/EU fee status.

As such, they have a range of money-related issues which need to be carefully considered before deciding to study at UAL.

Check if you would have International or Home/EU fee status.

Tuition fees

Students with International fee status must pay a pre-payment of £2,000 before they can secure their place on a course. The remainder of the tuition fee for the first year of the course must be paid before a student can enrol onto their course at the start of the academic year.

If a student is being sponsored by an official financial sponsor, as defined by UK Visas & Immigration (see the UKCISA website), a pre-payment waiver can be requested. Such students must send evidence of sponsorship when they submit their course offer acceptance form to the University.

Learn more about Tuition fees at UAL.

Living costs and additional course costs

It can be difficult to know how much money you may need to spend whilst you are here, on things like study materials, trips, accommodation, travel and food. Have a look at our information on living costs and additional course costs to get an idea of what to expect and how to get the most out of your money.


Funding available to students with International fee status is very limited, and the majority of such students would not be able to receive any funding.

You can explore the following resources to see if there is any funding that may be available for you:

Visas and financial requirements

Most students with International fee status will need a Tier 4 (General) visa to study at UAL. In order to make a successful application for this visa, students must meet strict financial requirements, including having funds to cover the tuition fee for the first year of their course, plus a specified amount of money for living costs. For further information, please see our visa application guides.

Working whilst you study

Many students work part-time during their studies to gain some money to support their studies and living costs. There are certain limits on the type of work, and the weekly number of hours of work, that students can do if they have a Tier 4 (General) visa. Visit the Work as an International Student page for more information on these restrictions, and how to find work.

Opening a bank account in the UK

After arriving in the UK, it can take a few weeks for a student to open a bank account in the UK. Therefore, it is important that all students plan to be without a UK bank account during this time. You can find more helpful information in our guide to Living in London.


The Student Advice Service is available to provide further information and support on financial matters related to your course.

Related information

Currency conversion

Fees and Funding Calculator

Use our Fees and Funding Calculator to find out the cost of studying at UAL.