What is a personal statement?
A personal statement is a written pitch.
It is your opportunity to tell us what inspires you, what you're interested in and why you want to study your chosen course at UAL.
Where to begin?
First, ask yourself a few questions.
- Why this subject?
- Why UAL?
- What artists and styles inspire you?
- What experience and skills do you have?
- What are your career goals? How can this course help you achieve them?
7 tips for your personal statement
- It's all about you. Your personal story is what makes you unique and stand out from the crowd.
- Make it relevant. Talk about examples and experiences that match your course criteria.
- What about extra-curricular activities? Do you do any volunteering or have any hobbies?
- Structure as well as substance. Structure it carefully to create a clear narrative.
- Watch out for errors. Ask someone else to read it to check for mistakes.
- Practice makes perfect. You may need to write a few drafts before you're happy.
- Read aloud. Before submitting your statement, read it aloud as a final check.