How do interviews work at UAL?
Once you’ve submitted your course application, you may be invited to an interview.
Not all courses require applicants to attend an interview. Check the course webpage to see if an interview might be part of the application process for your course.
How will I attend my interview?
- All interviews are conducted online using Microsoft Teams, except for BA (Hons) Acting and Performance and BA (Hons) Contemporary Theatre. For these courses, you may be asked to attend in person at a UAL site. You'll be notified if this is the case.
- All interviews are scheduled in UK time (GMT). Please be aware of the time difference if you live outside of the UK.
- Your interview will be 15-20 minutes with a member of our academic team.
- We recommend that you use a desktop or laptop for your interview, rather than a mobile device.
- Check that you have a strong internet connection and a power cable ready.
- Online interviews are conducted to the same standard as in-person interviews. Please have your camera switched on, choose a quiet room, dress appropriately and make sure your phone is on silent.
Using Microsoft Teams
- Download the Microsoft Teams app or visit the Microsoft website and sign up for free using a personal email address. Don't use a school or college email account as schools and colleges tend to block calls that are outside of their network. Similarly, if you're already studying at UAL, don't use your UAL email address to set up your Microsoft Teams account.
- Create your account at least 1 day before your interview.
How to join my interview
- On the day of your interview, use the link provided in the interview confirmation email.
- Once you click the link, you’ll be admitted into a lobby area (a waiting room). Wait here until your interviewer is ready, they will admit you.
We’re very keen to interview you. However, sometimes interviews can overrun, and you might be waiting a little longer than expected. If you’re not admitted from the lobby area after 20 minutes, please stay in the lobby and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I'm unable to attend my interview?
Let us know immediately by emailing email@example.com. We’ll then let you know if there’s a possibility of rearranging your interview.
Please let us know as soon as possible by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so we can support you as much as we can during your interview.
- Reread your course page and personal statement.
- Research relevant artists and styles.
- Do a practice interview with your family or friends.
What do we look for?
- Knowledge and skills: Tell us about your creative journey so far. Use your personal statement and portfolio as helpful cues.
- Passion and curiosity: What excites and inspires you? We want to see your enthusiasm and curiosity for your subject area.
- Ask questions: This is just as much your opportunity to ask questions and make sure UAL is right for you.
- Creative potential: Tell us about your aspirations and how your course can help you achieve them.
- Confidence: It's natural to feel nervous but just try to be yourself. We just want to learn more about you and your love for your subject.
After you apply?
You've applied to UAL but what happens next?
Find out more about conditional offers.
Sometimes we make alternative offers for a different course or College.