Skip to main content

Out of hours and emergency support

Emergency contacts

Dial 999 in the event of a true emergency requiring the police, ambulance service or fire brigade, or:

For non-emergencies get in touch with:

Urgent mental health support

Make contact

  • call 020 7514 6251 and ask to speak the Duty Worker
  • email if you need urgent support from the Counselling and Health Advice Service. Available Monday to Saturday (term time), 9.30am to 5pm.


Contact one of UAL's chaplains: William Whitcombe on 07872 816157 or Mark Dean on 07843 329587

Mental Health First Aid

Contact a Mental Health First Aider at UAL. Find out more at any Student Services help desk or ask a member of staff.

Read our self-help information for some useful guidance on managing your mental health during this time.

Painting tools on the floor
BA (Hons) Fine Art, Painting tools of Nikitah Patel, Copyright holder: Alys Tomlinson

External Support

Samaritans (24 hours)

Tel: 116 123
Drop in service available 9am - 9pm daily. 46 Marshall Street, London, W1F 9BF

Nightline (every night of term 6pm-8am)

Tel: 020 7631 0101

Nightline can help if you find yourself worrying about things at night and would like to talk to another student confidentially.

CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably)

Tel: 0800 585 858
CALM is a website and helpline aimed at preventing male suicide.


Tel: 0845 767 8000
Saneline provides information, care and support to anybody affected by mental health problems.

Hopeline UK

A confidential helpline for young people dealing with suicide, depression and emotional distress.

You can also text HopelineUK on 07786 209 697 or email

Monday to Friday 10am-10pm. Weekends/public holidays 2pm-5pm.

NHS 111

Tel: 111

Free, expert health advice and information from the NHS, 24 hours. For urgent medical care you can book an appointment with your doctor’s surgery.

You can also visit an NHS walk-in centre or the Accident and Emergency department at any hospital. In an emergency dial 999.

Police 101

Tel: 101

The non-emergency number for the police. You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not need an emergency response.

If there is a true emergency always dial 999.

Ashley Zhang, 2020, Pre-degree Fine art, Central Saint Martins, UAL | Photograph: Ben Turner