Skip to main content

Students with disabilities and health conditions

Support needs and adjustments

The University is committed to promoting equal opportunities. Accommodation Services welcomes applications from disabled students and students with support needs.

Below you will find the answers to frequently asked questions about the support and adjustments available throughout the application process and during your time in halls. If you can't find the answer to your question here, please email our dedicated Accommodation Disability Liaison Team at and we will be happy to help you.

What if I choose not to let you know about my support needs?

We prioritise applications from students who let us know they need support or adjustments because they are disabled or have a health condition.

In order to ensure we provide you with the best possible experience in halls, we strongly encourage you to let us know about your support or adjustment needs in your application so that we can allocate you the most suitable room. If you choose not to let us know about your needs, you may not receive the most appropriate support.

If you are a returning student, please note that you will need to let us know about your support needs in each application for accommodation.

If there are any changes to your circumstances after applying for accommodation, please email the team at and we will update your application for you.

Which hall of residence should I choose?

If you have an access requirement, and/or need a specific room type, this might affect where you need to live. You may need to live close to your College or need access to specific facilities (e.g. ensuite bathroom, step free access, parking).

We have a range of accessible accommodation on offer with a limited number of mobility adaptable rooms at many of our halls of residences. Mobility adaptable rooms are larger than standard rooms and are specifically designed to cater for students with particular access needs.

You will be able to find full details of the accessible features within each hall of residence web page.

What is a PEEP and how do I know if I need one?

A Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan, or PEEP, is a bespoke “escape plan” for individuals who may have difficulties evacuating a building to a Total Place of Safety without support or assistance from others - or with the help of a designated buddy who agrees to support the individual during an emergency evacuation.

If you require a PEEP, please let us know in your application for accommodation. Your Residence Manager will create a personalised plan after meeting with you, which will then be signed off by a Health and Safety Advisor. They will keep a copy in the halls' emergency box, give you a copy to keep, and an encrypted version will be stored electronically.

If you are applying for accommodation and you are unsure as to whether you require a PEEP, please get in touch with our Accommodation Disability Liaison Team for further guidance:

If you are currently living in halls, please get in touch with your Residence Manager if you are concerned that you may require a PEEP.

What if I need some equipment or an adaptation to my room?

Where necessary and possible, adaptations can be made to your room and equipment can be provided to support your individual needs. This includes:

  • Mini fridge for storing medicine or medical equipment
  • Sharps bin for disposing medical waste
  • Vibrating pillow, flashing alarm, hearing loop
  • Grab rails
  • Shower seat

If you require any room adjustments that are not listed above, please let us know in your application for accommodation or email the team at and we will try our best to arrange suitable facilities for you.

Do I need to provide medical documentation?

While providing medical documentation as part of the application is not mandatory, you can choose to provide further information to help our team better understand your needs and allocate you an appropriate room.

If you require adaptations to your room which are not listed above, we may request further medical documentation or an occupational therapy report.

Any medical documentation that you provide should:

  • Be written in English
  • Be dated within the last 3 months
  • Be provided by a GP, Medical or Occupational Therapist, Counsellor or Mental Health Advisor and presented on official headed paper
  • Clearly identify your health condition and support your requirement for a specific room type, hall of residence, and/or adjustment

Any medical documentation you provide will be held securely and remain confidential.

What support is available for me in halls?

If you have any questions, problems or concerns while living in halls regarding your needs, please email or speak with your Residence Manager in the first instance. Our dedicated Disability Liaison Team are also available to offer continued support throughout the application process and during your time in halls.

If you need further advice on health, or you would like to speak with a Counsellor or Mental Health Advisor, Student Services offer appointments in-person, by video call, phone and/or email.

Find details on the range of services Student Services offer including:
  • Counselling, health advice and chaplaincy
  • Disability and dyslexia service 
  • Immigration and money advice

Contact us

If you have any queries or concerns, or would like further details, please get in touch with the Accommodation Disability Liaison Team at