Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to creating a fairer and more inclusive institution for all staff, students, visitors and our university community.
Equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) are integral parts of our University's strategy, values and activities. We support protected characteristics including age, disability, gender reassignment (gender identity), marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, sex, and sexual orientation.
Practicing equality, diversity and inclusion
We have an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) team at UAL, which collaborates with all areas of the University.
The team helps embed EDI:
- Through providing training, advice and support.
- Working towards accreditations, key initiatives and events.
- Ensure that all operations within the University are in line with the Equality Act 2010.
The team’s ambition is to ensure EDI is at the core of working, teaching and learning, so that all members of UAL are empowered to reach their full potential.
Equality impact assessments
Conducting Equality Impact Assessments ensures that we are assessing the impact on protected groups. This includes evaluating proposed policies, reorganisations and activities, and decisions around the delivery of services.
This is in line with UAL’s Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by or under the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and people who do not share it; and
- Foster good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
We have Champions Forums which are chaired by a member of the Executive Board and are made up of staff and student representatives from across the University. Members meet termly to share good practice and work on a wide range of EDI projects and initiatives.
The Governors are consulted by the Executive Board. The Executive Board are consulted by the staff Forums:
- Disability and Neurodiversity Champions Forum
- LGBTQ+ Champions Forum
- Race Champions Forum
- Religion and Belief Champions Forum.
The Forums play a key role in embedding EDI across the institution.