Equality objectives and reports
University of the Arts London believes that the diversity of its staff and student community is fundamental to creative thinking and innovation in the arts community.
We are committed to removing barriers to progression and success and promoting understanding and awareness of equality, diversity and inclusion for all. We have a set of objectives to help us do this, in line with the requirements set out by the Equality Act 2010.
UAL's equality, diversity and inclusion objectives for 2015-18:
- Narrow differentials in participation, continuation and attainment of black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) students.
- Improve the representation of staff from BAME backgrounds, particularly in academic and senior roles.
- Ensure that where required, workplace adjustments for disabled staff are implemented within 8 weeks.
Our obligation under the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) is to:
- End unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010.
- Foster good relations between people from different groups. This involves tackling prejudice and promoting understanding between people from different groups.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people from different groups. This involves considering the need to:
- remove or minimise disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics. These characteristics are defined in the Equality Act 2010 as: age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and paternity, race, religion and belief, sex, and sexual orientation.
- meet the needs of people with protected characteristics.
- encourage people with protected characteristics to take part in public life, and in other activities where their participation is low.
Our specific PSED duties:
- Publish equality information
- Prepare and publish equality objectives
- Publish accessible equality information and objectives
Gender pay reporting
Gender pay gap reporting is required under the Equality Act 2010 (Specific Duties and Public Authorities) Regulations 2017 for ‘specified public authorities’. Reporting regarding UAL’s gender pay gap for workers in scope of the regulations as of 31 March 2019, can be found on the government website.
Further information and commentary on the results can be found in the UAL Gender Pay Gap Report March 2019 (PDF 133KB)
Gender pay gap reports
- UAL Gender Pay Gap Report March 2018 (PDF 337KB)
- UAL Gender Pay Gap Report March 2017 (PDF 337KB).
Equality, diversity and inclusion reports
- UAL Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Report 2018 (PDF 1.9MB)
- UAL Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Report 2017 (Students) (PDF 1.9MB)
- UAL Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Report 2016 (PDF 4.6MB)
- UAL Equality and Diversity Progress Report 2015 (PDF 1.78 KB)
- UAL Equality and Diversity Progress Report 2014 (PDF 1.1MB)
We are proud of our diverse student communities and we are committed to ensuring UAL is an inclusive and supportive environment for everyone.