Skip to main content

Immigration guidance

Immigration guidance for short course students

If you are a national from a country outside the UK or Ireland you will need an immigration permission to study short courses with us. This applies to European students as well as international students. It is your own responsibility to check your visa status and ensure you obtain the correct visa before travelling.

Before you start your course:

Please send electronic copies of your passport and valid immigration permission to the Short Courses Compliance by emailing to

You can also present your passport and valid immigration permission to the Short Courses Office at Granary Sq. in person from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

To avoid the queues we recommend that you email the copies of your passport and other required immigration documents rather than present your documents on a day your course starts, where possible.

Important information for Digital Immigration Status holders: If you hold settled, pre-settled or other digital status that allow you to study the course you booked you must obtain a share code here prove immigration status and send it to together with your passport.

Your immigration documents will be checked, and providing these are valid for study, you will be able to start your course.

Please note we cannot allow you to start your course if you do not have the correct immigration permission.

Please visit out frequently asked questions for any questions about  Standard visitor visa you may have.

For instructions on how to apply for a Standard visitor visa and everything you need to know before and after receiving your visa please visit UAL website.

Where can I get help?

You can contact Short Courses Immigration Compliance Office if you are unsure that the visa you have allows you to join short course.

UAL’s Student Advice Service has advisers specially trained on immigration issues and can assist you with enquiries about visa and immigration matters.

The UK Government and UKCISA websites have the most up-to-date visa information. Because UK immigration rules are constantly changing, you should keep consulting these sites regularly for updates.

Please read UAL's short course booking terms and conditions carefully before you make a booking.