not just a shop sells design products and artwork created by UAL students and alumni.
New products and artwork are sourced through open calls. Students and alumni who meet the criteria in our handbook can submit their work for the chance to get it sold.
Before applying for our open calls, please make sure you:
- Read the not just a shop Open Call Handbook (PDF 582KB) thoroughly
- Read our advice on How to Cost and Price your Work (PDF 435KB)
- Visit the shop in person or look at our website to see the types of products we sell.
If you are on a Tier 4 or Student Route Visa, you cannot apply to sell your work because the UK government states that you cannot be self-employed on a Tier 4 or Student Route Visa. More detailed information can be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs' website.
Product open call
The next deadline to apply for the chance to get your products sold as part of not just a shop's Autumn/Winter collection is 26 July 2021 (10am).
To fill out this application, you will need to have the following to hand:
- Your business profile (100 character max).
- Your current stockists and any relevant social media accounts if you have any.
- Either a wholesale catalogue/price list or photographs, item descriptions, and prices for each product you are submitting.
We estimate that it will take 22-40 minutes to complete your application, with an additional 5-10 minutes for each additional product range.
Fine art open calls
As a result of the shop closure due to COVID-19, we will not be accepting new Fine Art submissions until later this autumn.
Live briefs and competitions
We also run live briefs and competitions for current students. These provide students who may not have market-ready products with chances to see their work sold.
Your designs in Tate shops
Don’t miss the chance to apply for our Christmas card competition with Tate!
Together with Tate, UAL Careers and Employability are inviting current students to design a range of limited edition Christmas cards to be printed and sold by Tate and UAL’s retail store not just a shop.
Tate will be selecting, producing and selling the winning entries in their museum shops from July 2021. The cards will also be sold in not just a shop from November 2021.
Designs should be appealing to the general public and represent the quality, creativity and diversity of UAL. Entries will be judged on their originality, public appeal and their fresh approach to the theme of Christmas / ability to capture the spirit of Christmas.
The competition is open to all UAL current students. Up to 5 winning students will each receive:
- Prize of £250
- 6 packs of professionally printed cards
Winners will be announced in late-May and successful students will be invited to meet with the merchandise team at Tate and discuss production.
Deadline: Monday 10 May 2021 at 10am
For more information and to apply: Visit the online application form
- Sign up for the Careers and Employability newsletter to keep up to date with our open calls, competitions and deadlines.