At London College of Communication (LCC), our Placements Team supports all students to enhance their experience of work placements and professional practice.
As part of this journey, we can help you to search, apply and secure approval for your placements. We also work in collaboration with Careers and Employability at UAL to ensure you receive as much support as possible when shaping your future in your chosen industry.
Work placements can help you to grow your skills, build your connections and gain vital experience for your future career. Some courses at LCC offer placements as part of a particular unit, and you can check your course handbook for more information if this is applicable to you. However, even if placements aren’t part of your course curriculum, we’d encourage you to explore related opportunities during your time at the College.
What are the benefits of a work placement?
- Enhance your CV: Work placements are a great way to develop skills and experience that will help you in future employment, as well as making your CV stand out when you’re applying for other opportunities.
- Develop and apply new skills: Placements are your opportunity to develop the personal and professional skills you’ll need in your future career. They also enable you to apply what you’ve learned at LCC within an industry setting.
- Networking: Any contacts you make can lead to eventual work or job opportunities. Even employers who aren’t able to offer you a placement might be useful contacts in the future, so make sure you connect with everyone you speak to.
- Experiment: You’ll have the opportunity to try out different types of jobs that will be available to you after graduation, helping you to decide which one is right for you.
- The chance of a permanent job: The second most popular way that UAL graduates find work is by having already gained some form of work experience with their future employer.
What opportunities are available?
At LCC, we work with companies of all sizes within the design, media communications and screen industries across the world.
Many of our students find placements with companies that are well-established in their chosen industry, while others work with smaller companies who might not be as well-known. Both types of companies can provide you with a wealth of knowledge and experience to help you progress in your career and gain a range of different insights into your chosen industry.
You might also be interested in undertaking an international placement, which can offer a great idea of how your chosen industry works in a particular country. If you’d like to pursue an international opportunity, our Placements Team can support you through the process.
As you have the best insight into the kinds of industries that you’d like to work in, we encourage you to source your own placements. This can also help you to develop your professional practice through areas such as research, networking, application processes and interviews.
Previously, LCC students have worked with organisations including:
- BBC, London
- Doha Film Institute, Qatar
- Guinness World Records, London
- ITV, London
- Pinewood Studios, Buckinghamshire
- Precious Media, London
- Rouge Film, London
Placements Spotlight: Wildat Hassan x Educational Intelligence
BA (Hons) Advertising student Wildat Hassan discusses how taking part in work experience opportunities enabled her to build vital skills in digital marketing.
Placements Spotlight: Annika Loebig x Multiplii
BA (Hons) Journalism student Annika Loebig discusses her experience of applying skills in content creation to a tech company specialising in behavioural science.
Placements Spotlight: Yi An Chen x Mappin Technologies
We chat to BA (Hons) Interaction Design Arts student Yi An Chen about his experience of undertaking a work placement with a start-up which explores the future of smart buildings.