With recent major investments in large scale printing and studio lighting, as well as our flagship film processing area, the Media Photography technical facility is a key reason students choose to join LCC's Photography courses.
Not only are students provided access to one of most well equipped technical facilities in the country, but they will find their technical learning supported by a team of expert technicians.
Equipped with high-end digital and analogue facilities and state-of-the-art workspaces, LCC Photography is reflective of a professional working space that is constantly working towards a true reflection of current industry standards.
In this area you'll have exclusive access to:
- Three large studios, complete with Profoto flash systems and a state-of-the-art continuous lighting, with RGB LED lights for still and moving image work, including Arri, Hive and Gemini.
- Free black and white and colour film processing on site (35mm up to 10 x 8 sheet film).
- Specialist darkrooms that have been developed to work with traditional and digital print processes.
- Traditional hand-printing for black and white and colour, as well as historical processing spaces.
Specialist Media Photography digital facilities
As a Media Photography student you'll have access to:
- A photography specific Digital Suite, equipped with multiple workstations with industry standard displays for colour proofing.
- Photo and film editing software including Adobe Creative Suite and Capture One.
- A range of flatbed and negative scanners including X5 Imacon, A3 scanner, V850 A4 scanners.
- Large format inkjet printing on a wide variety of archival papers.
- Access to a state-of-the-art Chromira exposure unit, for creating large-scale analogue prints from digital files.
- Ability to create digital negatives for use in historical processes.
Media Photography equipment access
As a Media Photography student you have access to a wide range of technical equipment to assist with your creative processes.
Additionally, you have ring-fenced equipment that only your course has access to, this includes:
- Canon full frame DSLRs
- Canon mirrorless cameras
- Digital medium format camera systems from Fuji and Hasselblad
- Sony mirrorless cameras for still and moving image
- 35mm SLRs
- Mamiya RB/RZ medium format systems
- 5x4 Field and Monorail cameras from MPP, Cambo and Sinar
- 10 x 8 Field and Monorail cameras from Sinar and Intrepid
- A range of Polaroid and Pinhole cameras
Moving Image and Sound
- Specialist lenses including Voigtlander, Sony G Master, and Sigma series.
- ND filters
- Wally Dolly portable tracks
- Rhino Slider Pro
- Sachtler Flowtech 75 Tripod and Dolly
- DJI Ronin-S Gimbals
- Rode Podcaster Pro recording kit with Rode Podcaster microphones
- Live-streaming kit on adjustable height trolley with Atemi Mini Pro and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface
Within the Media Photography technical team we run a series of specialist workshops ranging from basic through to advanced studio lighting and moving image workshops including location lighting, podcast recording and live-streaming, as well as Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro) and Capture One.
In the Analogue facilities we offer colour and black and white darkroom printing and processing, as well as a range of alternative analogue processes such as cyanotypes, lumen printing, photograms, liquid emulsion and more.
We also run New Waves which is a series of student-led live stream workshops interviewing a range of artists and photographers, both in our facilities and their studios.
As well as running Open Access workshops, our team of technicians are always available for 1:1 support, on-site or online by appointment.
Please note: Resources may require inductions before allowing access and are prioritised for certain courses.
Take a tour of the space