Why choose Graphic Media Design?
During this intensive three-week course you will:
- experience a taster of the undergraduate Graphic Media Design programme here at London College of Communication.
- learn from tutors who are practicing artists, designers and communicators; benefit from access to specialist facilities at one of UAL’s six Colleges.
- meet like-minded individuals from around the world!
- get involved in UAL life through social events and activities.
- All courses are assessed and you'll receive a record of study at the end of the programme if you wish to request credit from your home institution.
- At the end of the course you will present your work at an exhibition alongside photography, graphics and film students.
You should be proficient in written and spoken English and be able to participate in group discussions and make presentations. As a guideline we would expect you to have an English language level equivalent to IELTS score of 6.0.
More information on English language requirements and equivalencies.
You should have some prior study in design and drawing skills, Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator skills is essential but do not need to have studied animation before.
This course is perfect for you if you are thinking of further study or professional development in animation. If you have questions about your academic background, please contact the UAL Study Abroad team.
During Summer Study Abroad - Graphic Media Design there will be an emphasis on visual research and exploration. We will examine the function of typography, layout and basic design principles, letterpress, screen printing, risograph printing, digital filmmaking and the relationship between print and digital media.
For latest design techniques and inspiration, we will visit museums and galleries in London.
A key part of the course will be recording the process of design and you will set-up a blog to record your design journey in words, images and video.
- Enable you to develop a critical understanding of the major theoretical perspectives in the field of media, cultural and communications studies
- Explore the social, historical and economic context of the transformations in media and communications practices and industries and their impact on contemporary cultures and societies
- Develop your understanding of a range of contemporary media, cultural and communications practices
- Support you to be able to present your research and ideas confidently – in writing, face-to-face and online
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Be aware of the economic forces which frame the media, cultural and creative industries, and the role of such industries in contemporary political and cultural life
- Critically analyse the theoretical issues that inform the media and cultural studies discipline
- An ability to locate and evaluate information from a range of written and / or visual source
- An ability to communicate ideas and arguments in an academic form
Requirements for Assessment
- Contribution to online media presence
- Presentation of ideas and concept development
On completion of this course you will receive a Record of Study.
If you need any additional supporting documentation to convert this into credit for your home university we can provide that for you. This summer school is based on classes from BA Animation.
Shernette Daly is a graduate from London College of Printing in 1998 (LCP). She has spent over 15 years practicing as an Art Director and Designer, working on an array of projects including; Music Packaging, Branding and Identity, Advertising, Packaging, Editorial Design, Book Publishing, Illustration and Photography for brands such as Sony Europe, Sony BMG, Sanctuary Records, Universal Music, ITV Publishing, EMAP Media Group, and Channel 4.
Currently Shernette is an Associate Lecturer for the University of the Arts London and works across curriculums in a broad capacity, delivering specialist theoretical and practical workshops at London College of Communication, Central St Martins and Chelsea School of Art Undergraduate and Foundation courses, this includes; BA Graphic Media Design, BA Graphic Branding and Identity, BA Graphic Design Communication, Pre-Degree in Art and Design, and Cert HE Preparation for Design, Media and Screen. Alongside practicing as a freelance consultant, she also works in radio broadcast.
Dates and fees
Date: 24 July 2023 - 11 August 2023
Time: 10am - 4pm
Duration: 3 weeks
Please bring the following materials with you on the first day of the course:
- Laptop (preferably a Mac) if you have one.
- DSLR Camera – A DSLR camera is preferred for the course, if you have your own please bring it with you. If you do not have a DSLR camera you can use the camera on your phone during the course.
- A4 Notebook
Summer Study Abroad Award
We offer a Summer Study Abroad Award for all of our 3 week Summer Study Abroad courses.
To be eligible, you must be 18 years or older, hold an offer to join one of our 3 week Summer Study Abroad courses, and be enrolled on an undergraduate degree programme outside the UK.
- The award covers the tuition-fee only and depends on you successfully enrolling for the course. Our cancellation policy still applies.
- Award winners will be asked to take part in promotional activities to promote Summer Study Abroad, including social media posts and takeovers, and blog writing.
Find out how to apply.