Frequently Asked Questions


Programmes and Credits


Finance and Funding 


Will I need a visa?

If you do not hold a UK / EU / EEA passport you will need a visa.

For detailed information please refer to the UK Borger Agency Home Office website and the UAL Immigration & Visas page.

It is your responsibility to determine how far in advance you need to apply for a visa, and to allow sufficient time to obtain a visa. We will not allow you to join the programme if you do not have a visa that allows you to study, and in these circumstances, you will not by right be eligible for any refund of course fees.

Programmes and Credits

What is Study Abroad?

Study Abroad gives students from colleges and universities across the world the opportunity to join an undergraduate course at London College of Communication for one, two or three terms for a specific and intensive learning experience. Students will be fully integrated into university life in London along with our local degree students.

When can I do Study Abroad?

Students choosing to study with us for one term can come for Autumn or Spring term starting in September and January respectively.

Students choosing to study at LCC for two terms can also start in September or January for Autumn/Spring or the Spring/Summer terms.

Those wishing to join us for the whole school year will have all the same term dates as our local students studying from September through to June.

How should I decide which course to apply to for Study Abroad?

In order to get credit from your home institution, it is advisable to choose the degree program most similar to your home program.

At the heart of the University's learning philosophy is that students are given the space and creative freedom to explore their own ideas and professional practice. You will take classes (that are assigned to you) in just one subject area in order to fully develop specialist and detailed technical skills that go deeper and further within that chosen subject area. This encourages the independent research, creativity and skill building that is required for a career in professional artistic practice and the creative industries.

It is possible to get on a course different but related to your course of study at home. For example, you may be studying International Relations and want to join the Journalism course at LCC. Please contact UAL Study Abroad for more information.

Please visit the LCC Undergraduate Courses page for a complete list of our courses.

Can I get a credit transfer to my home university?

The University of the Arts London, of which London College of Communication  is a constituent college, has degree-awarding powers under UK government legislation. All University of the Arts London degree courses earn 120 credits per year with each term earning approximately 40 credits. Your work will be assessed while you are at LCC. A record of your grades and credits will be sent to your home institution after completing the programme.

Before you apply for our Study Abroad Programme you need to ensure that credits you earn here are transferable to your home institution. If your advisor requires a copy of the relevant Course Handbook please request by email to

Can I get a qualification or US credit by taking part in Summer School?

LCC offers 3-week Summer Study Abroad courses providing students with an assessment grade. A record of the grade and class hours is sent to your home institution upon request. If you require credit then you must check with your university or college first to see if they will give credits for LCC Summer Study Abroad courses.


How do I apply for Study Abroad?

Applicants need to complete the application form and send supporting documentation together with a portfolio to the Study Abroad office, 272 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY. For the portfolio, we do not need to see original work, if possible please send images on a CD or a DVD.

When do I apply for Study Abroad?

You need to apply by 31 May 2014 for study in the autumn term and by 31 October for study in the spring term 2015.

What are the entry requirements for your Study Abroad?


  • Registered for a related degree in an institution outside the UK
  • Good academic standing.
  • US students should have a GPA of 3.0 or above

  • A portfolio, showreel or examples of written work (depending on the course) that shows a breadth of work and demonstrates creative thinking
  • Non-native English speakers must have a minimum level of IELTS 6.0 (or equivalent)

 Please visit the UAL Language Centre website for more information.

What kind of portfolio do I need to submit with my application?

Art and Design Courses: Please submit a portfolio of 20-25 images. The work you include should show breadth, and demonstrate your creative thinking, and personal research, progressing through stages to a finished piece. Please do not send original artwork.

Sound Art: Please submit a CD/DVD of your original sound work

Film and Television: Please submit a DVD showreel of extracts of your film projects, along with a short written film analysis

All other courses (Media Studies, Journalism, Publishing, PR, etc): Three pieces of written work appropriate to the specialist area.

You can find more information on the Study Abroad Application Guidance document and on the webpage for your specific course.

What level of English do I need to apply?

All classes are taught in English. Applicants whose first language is not English should note that they are required to be proficient in written and spoken English and be able to participate in group discussions and presentation.

Most programmes require a minimum IELTS score of 6. The University of the Arts London also offers English courses for overseas students. For more information on English courses and language support, please visit the UAL Language Centre website. 

Will I be interviewed for a place on the Study Abroad programme?

In most cases your application and portfolio are sufficient to assess your suitability for the programme.

When will I find out if I have been accepted onto the Study Abroad programme?

We aim to inform you if you have been accepted on the course of your choice within 15 working days of receiving your completed application form. If you have not heard from us please contact 

Finance and Funding

How much does Study Abroad cost?

Current information on fees for Integrated Study Abroad can be found on the Integrated programme page.

Can I use Federal Aid whilst on Study Abroad?

As part of the University of the Arts London, LCC is Title IV registered and can therefore offer full-time eligible students US Federal loans via the FFELP scheme and subsequent private 'top-up' loans. Eligible students who are enrolled on a Study Abroad program at LCC can continue to take out financial aid via their home institution. University of the Arts London is required to fill out a consortium agreement to be completed by the International Centre's financial aid office.

Can I transfer State and Institutional aid?

Transferring this depends on your home university. Please contact your home Study Abroad Advisor for help.

Are there any scholarships available to Study Abroad students?

LCC does not currently offer any study abroad scholarships to students.

 However, there are however two international organisations that you may wish to investigate:

The Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship Program
 offers a competition for awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000.

This scholarship provides awards for US undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. The Program targets students who have been traditionally underrepresented in education abroad. Over 1,200 scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded this academic year.
Further details are available at on their website.

BUTEX (British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association)

 offers eight scholarships to North American students studying in the UK for a semester or full academic year. Further details are available on their website.

Where can I find more information about funding?

There are a number of publications and sources of information on obtaining funding for your course. Please visit the Study Abroad Funding page or the UAL Financial Advice page for more information.