Apply to Study Abroad
If you're looking to study abroad at UAL, we have put together some information to help you apply. You can study abroad at each of our colleges, with courses lasting from 3 weeks up until a year.
How to apply
- Choose your course (if you're not sure what course you want to apply for, visit our course pages)
- Once you’ve selected your course, you will be taken to the application form.
- Use our application guide as a reference while you are applying:
- View Terms and Conditions for Study Abroad.
- 31 May for August / September entry
- 31 October for January / February entry
Need more information? See below for our entry requirements and other useful information.
Eligibility and application criteria
- Completed at least 1 year's study at an overseas higher education institution in a relevant undergraduate subject;
- Minimum 3.0 GPA or the equivalent;
- Meet UAL’s English language requirement.
Want to study at London College of Fashion?
Visit the LCF Study Abroad page for entry criteria and portfolio requirements.
English language requirements
- Be from a majority English speaking country or;
- Have studied for at least 1 year at a university in a majority English speaking country or;
- An IELTS score (or equivalent) of 6.0, or above, with 5.5 in each of the components. Certain courses require higher IELTS scores of 6.5, 7.0 or 7.5.
- LCF Study Abroad and Summer Study Abroad have varying IELTS entry requirements.
- The English language requirements for students applying for a Tier 4 (General) student visa may differ from those listed above. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application supporting documents
Supporting documents must be uploaded with the online application.
- 1 passport sized headshot photo
- Copy of the photo page in your passport
- Personal statement - must be between 300 and 500 words in length
- 1 academic reference
- Transcript of recent grades
- Art, Design, Fashion Courses: Please submit a portfolio of 20-25 images in a PDF format no larger than 10MB. The work you include should show breadth, and demonstrate your creative thinking, and personal research, progressing through stages to a finished piece.
- Fashion at Central Saint Martins: You should demonstrate your fashion research and creative process skills; sketchbook imagery which shows the origin of ideas displayed in your portfolio; and the progression through design stages to a finished piece.
- Acting and Directing Courses: Please submit a DVD of a recent performance in which you have taken a significant role.
- Sound Art: Please submit a CD/DVD of your original sound work.
- Film and Television: Please submit a DVD showreel of extracts of your film projects, along with a short-written film analysis.
- All other courses (such as Media Studies, Journalism, Publishing, PR etc): 3 pieces of written work appropriate to the specialist area.
Online submission tool
PebblePad is an online tool which enables applicants to upload additional requirements to support their application.
If you are required to submit additional requirements via PebblePad, you will be sent an email with your user name and password and a link to access the system.
A chance to showcase your creative potential, your portfolio is an important part of your application. As courses vary in their selection criteria, we encourage you to read all application information native to your chosen course while preparing your portfolio.
View UAL's portfolio advice (note that Study Abroad students will not be required to interview).
See the courses available on each programme:
Study alongside local degree-seeking students for 1, 2, or 3 terms and fully integrate into UK student life.
14 week semester programmes designed and tailored to incoming study abroad students that offers electives to suit individualised learning needs.
Search and apply
Use the “Study Abroad Course and Application Search” tool to look for the programme you would like to apply for and start an application form.