The Art of Questioning 2019-2020
The Art of Questioning is a PhD seminar on methodologies and contemporary thinking organized and run by Dr Daniel Rubinstein
Seminars run on Wednesdays on alternate weeks to Test Lab. They will begin at 4:30PM Room Kings Cross F304.
Daniel Rubinstein is a Reader in Philosophy and the Image at Central Saint Martins. You can contact me with any questions: email@example.com
Part 1: What is “a” or “the” ground (and why it matters)
Materiality, Ontology, Enlightenment
- Wednesday 9th October – Introduction
- Wednesday 23d October – Sapere Aude (Dare to Know)
- Kant: What is Enlightenment in What is Enlightenment http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.htm
- Foucault ‘What is Enlightenment?’ in Foucault, M., 1991, The Foucault reader, Rabinow, P. ed. Penguin London, 32-50.
- Hannah Arendt, The Rise of Cartesian Doubt, in her The Human Condition, intro by Margaret Canova (University of Chicago Press: 1998 , pp. 273-80;
- Wednesday 6 November – Dialectic via Hegel: sublation, the ‘this’, where is ‘here’, what is the (or ‘a’) Negative.
- GWF Hegel. The Phenomenology of Spirit: Please concentrate on the following fragments. From the “Preface,” pp. 1–45: sections: 2, 3, 16–25; 26–7; 30–42; 46–54; 61; (Note: read ONLY Miller’s translation: Hegel, G.W.F., 1998, Phenomenology of Spirit, Findlay, J. ed. Translated by Miller. Oxford University Press).
- Wednesday 20 November – Dialectic via Marx:
- Marx, Theses on Feuerbach (esp no. 3 and 11);
- Marx, The Communist Manifesto; The 18th Brumaire
- Robert Paul Wolff ‘Moneybags must be so lucky’ Wolff, R.P., 1988, Moneybags must be so lucky: on the literary structure of Capital, Univ of Massachusetts Press, Amherst.
- Wednesday 4 December – Dialectic Via Adorno ‘The Indissoluble Something’,
- Adorno, T.W., 1983, Negative Dialectics, Translated by Ashton. Continuum International Publishing Group, New York. Read: ‘Preface’ and ‘introduction’ pp. xix-xxi and 3-57
- Rose, G., 1978, The melancholy science, Macmillan,
Part 2: Consciousness, Experience, Secrets, Sex & Sexualities.
- Wednesday 8 January – Kierkegaard ‘Fear and Trembling’
- Kierkegaard, Søren, 1985, Fear and trembling, Penguin Books; New York, N.Y., U.S.A., Middlesex, England. ‘Attunement’, ‘problemata 1: is there a teleological suspension of the ethical?’ and ‘is there and absolute duty to God?’ pp. 44-48, 83-95, 96-108
- 2. Jacques Derrida, “Whom to Give To [knowing not to know),” in his The Gift of Death, pp. 53- 81.
- Wednesday 22 January – Sucking on cigarettes and other libidinal pleasures. Freud ‘Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar’ (but most of the time it isn’t)
- Watch: The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy 1973)
- Read: Sigmund Freud, “Introductory Lectures in Psycho-Analysis”
- Optional: Freud ‘A child is being beaten; a contribution to the study of sexual perversions’ (available online)
Part 3: Posthuman entanglements
- Wednesday 5 February – What is this thing called ‘thing’
- Wednesday 19 Feb – Why technology is nothing technological
- Wednesday 4 March – What is Entanglement? (via Einstein and Schrödinger’s cat)
Part 4: The digital condition, cyber queers and tentacular practices
- Wednesday 22 April – Difference and the art of making a difference
- Wednesday 6 May – Difference and the art of making a difference – continued
- Wednesday 20 May – Intensity, Pattern, incompleteness, Event and other libidinal economies
- Wednesday 3 June – There is nothing outside the text
- Wednesday 17 June – The posthuman