2016: The Year Ahead
With 2015 receding in the rear-view mirror, it’s time to look at the road ahead for the next 12 months at Central Saint Martins.
Here are a few choice dates for your diary together with some seasonal highlights. Keep an eye on the What’s On At CSM section for more details.
January – March
Pick: Celebrating 100 years of female graphic design at Central Saint Martins
16 February – 25 March | Window Galleries, The Crossing
This exhibition will showcase graphics produced by our female alumni and staff over the past century. The designers on show have made their mark not just in the graphic design world, but across all disciplines of art and design, demonstrating the diversity and endless possibilities of careers in this field. The show aims to present visual communication as both an accessible subject and an area of intellectual enquiry by showing research projects alongside client-commissioned work. Visit the exhibition’s blog to find out more.
- 4 – 25 January | Spatial Practices Spring Lecture Series
- 26 – 28 January | Something Happened On The Way From Mars
- 19 February | MA Fashion Show held at London Fashion Week
- 19 – 23 February | LFW Fashion East show featuring CSM alumni
- 21 – 28 February | Spatial Practices Spring Lecture Series
- 2 – 5 March | Design for Dance
- 11 March | Metaphonica
- 14 – 21 March | BA Acting spring term shows
- 15 – 17 March | MACD Symposium
- 17 March | MA Interim Show (MA Art & Science, Fine Art, Photography)
- 18 March | Live BA Jewellery Event
April – June
Pick: Degree Shows
One: 27 – 31 May, Two: 24 – 28 June
Our summer Degree Shows allow a first glimpse at the most exciting new talent across all Programmes as our students open up their work to the public for a series of free art, design, fashion, communication and performance exhibitions within the Granary Building.
Lots of hard work goes into showcasing the creative stars of tomorrow, not only from the students themselves, but also from the team on the ground. While you wait in anticipation for 2016’s shows to come around, have a read of our 2015 interviews with our Health and Safety Advisor Niall Campbell, Degree Show builders Joe Plume and Sirisa Clark, and planners Matt Barrett and Jess King, to find out how it all comes together.
- 11 April | Foundation in Performance final major
- 11 – 29 April | MA Fashion exhibition
- 9 May | Practice Exchange (BA PDP/BA FA)
- 14 – 16 May | Foundation show
- 16 May | BA Directing Graduating Showcase Festival
- 26 May | Lowe Nova Awards: Shortlist Show One
- 24 – 27 June | Contested Space
- 30 June | Lowe Nova Awards: Shortlist Show Two
July – September
Pick: Lowe Nova Award winner announced
Last year BA Performance Design and Practice student Liberty Antonia Sadler was awarded the prize for her work exploring 21st-century body politics through illustration and moving image.
Talking about her practice, she said: “My work aims to open discussion about vulnerability, imperfection and inequality, exploring issues of 21st century body politics, with a focus on the experience of living in a female body in a ‘photoshopped’ world. Using humour as a technique of critique my objective is to use it as a device to answer the unspoken dogma of one’s body being one’s collateral.”
- 4 July | BA Acting Summer Show
October – December
Pick: Postgraduate Art Auction
19 October | Lethaby Gallery
This year will be the tenth Postgraduate Art Auction organised by MA Fine Art students. It follows last year’s success when £31,000 was raised to fund the course’s MA Interim Show and Degree Show. Among the internationally acclaimed artists who donated work in 2015 were previous Turner Prize winners and Central Saint Martins alumni, Antony Gormley, Grayson Perry and Laure Prouvost, as well as Peter Doig, Isaac Julien and Nicole Wemers. For more information, keep an eye on the Postgraduate Art Auction website closer to the date and read more about last year’s Postgraduate Art auction.
- 12 December | BA Fashion White show
- TBA | MA Fashion Communication exhibition
- TBA | BA Acting Autumn Term Shows
- 8 December | Design & Make
- 5 – 19 December | Spatial Practices Autumn Lecture Series