Central Saint Martins Celebrates Sculptural History
Frank Martin was Head of Sculpture at St Martin’s School of Art from 1952 to 1979. Under his leadership, the department became a centre for sculptural innovation.
Prominent figures such as Anthony Caro, Tim Scott, Phillip King, William Tucker, Michael Bolus, David Annesley and Isaac Witkin worked alongside him as teaching staff or practitioners.
Known as the New Generation sculptors, these artists took part in the seminal 1965 ‘New Generation’ exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery.
A window on the past
A Frank Martin window display, featuring archive photographs of him and his students, is on show at Central Saint Martins until 29 August. An exhibition about Anthony Caro will run 3-17 October 2014 in window gallery B.
These displays draw on the huge number of photographs and course documents held by the Tate Archive and our Museum and Study Collection.
The two institutions are currently applying for the funding to fully catalogue the Frank Martin Archive and turn the collection into an accessible, vital resource.
All images are courtesy of Tate Archive and our Museum and Study Collection.