skip to main content

Essential coronavirus info
Your safety is our first priority.

Postgraduate Academic Practice entry requirements

For full details of entry requirements for each course, please see the individual course pages:

PgCert Academic Practice

MA Academic Practice

How much experience do I need?

In most cases, applicants will be currently employed in a teaching or learning support role in an Art, Design and Communication context.

Our units are intended as practical courses for people already interacting with students and you will be asked to reflect on your current teaching practice and to undertake a classroom project.

To apply for the MA Academic Practice, you should have completed a PGCert in Academic Practice in Art, Design and Communication.

Some units have more specific entry requirements, for example, the elective unit Supervising Research Degrees usually requires experience of supervising PhD candidates. You can check on each unit description for more details.

English language requirements

If English is not your first language, and you have not completed an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification from a UK university, or from another English speaking country, you will need to attach evidence of your English Language ability to your application. The minimum requirement is an IELTS score of 7.0, with 6.0 in each element, or an equivalent qualification such as TOEFL, or the Cambridge Advanced exam.

English language courses are available at The Language Centre. For English language test exemptions, please visit the English Language Requirements page.

Equal opportunities

We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of age, gender, race, class, sexuality, or religion. The Teaching and Learning Exchange seeks to recruit participants from a wide range of backgrounds.