Skip to main content

PgCert and MA Academic Practice FAQ

Application process

What do I need to do in my performance review and appraisal (PRA)?

You must record your intention to undertake the PgCert at your summer PRA prior to the course starting.

How do I enrol on the MA Academic Practice after completing the PgCert?

To progress from the PgCert to studying on the MA Academic Practice you will need to submit a new application, including an internal authorisation form.  Your credits from the PgCert will be transferred to the MA Academic Practice.

When is the application deadline?

The application deadline is Friday 16 September 2022, by 4pm for both the PgCert and MA courses. Late applications will not be accepted.

Please allow enough time before the deadline to get authorisation from your line manager and staff development contact and then to upload copies of your documentation to your online application.

You have more chance of being allocated your preferred study day if you apply early.

What happens after I apply?

You will receive an automated email once your application has been submitted, which goes to the non-UAL email you used to make your online application.

In October the Associate Deans of Learning, Teaching and Enhancement will make their final decisions on the applications from College based staff. Decisions for Central Services staff and Teaching Within participants may be made sooner.

Once a decision has been made, you will be notified by email. Please remember to check regularly the non-UAL email that you used to make your online application.

I have been offered a place on the course. What do I do now?

You will need to follow the instructions in the emails to accept your place on the PgCert or MA. Please then complete your pre-enrolment online before your course starts in January.

Why have I not been allocated my 1st choice of study day?

If your first choice of study day (cohort) is full when we receive your application, you may be allocated your 2nd or 3rd choice.

How long do I have to complete the course?

The PgCert is a part-time course where you will study 3 consecutive units over 3 terms. Typically participants complete in 1 year. Under exceptional circumstances, participants are allowed a maximum of 3 years to complete the course.

The MA is a part time course where you will study 3 consecutive units over 6 terms. Typically participants complete in 2 years. Under exceptional circumstances, participants are allowed a maximum of 3 years to complete the course.

Do I have to pay to do the PgCert or MA Academic Practice?

These 2 courses are free of charge to UAL staff. We charge fees only to external (non-UAL) applicants.

If you leave employment with UAL before completing your course you will be able to complete the unit you are currently studying free of charge. To study any further units to complete your course you will then be charged pro-rata postgraduate tuition fees at UAL standard levels.

Attendance and timetabling

When will I need to attend classes?

The PgCert is split into several cohort classes, which run on different weekdays: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. You will attend class on one of those days and you can select your preferred cohort depending on which day of the week you are free to attend. You can choose a different cohort for each PgCert unit.

For example, if in the spring term you teach on a Monday and Tuesday, select either the Wednesday or Friday cohort as your first preference for Unit 1 (Theories, Policies and Practices).

If your 1st preference cohort is full when you apply we will allocate you a different day.

PgCert classes happen approximately every 3 weeks. Once you have been enrolled you will be emailed a timetable with exact class dates for all your units.

The MA Academic Practice does not operate cohorts.

  • Unit 4 (Research Methods and Practices) runs on Tuesdays
  • Unit 5 (Major Project) runs on Mondays and Fridays
  • Unit 6 (Dissemination and Impact) runs on Tuesdays

MA classes also occur approximately every 3 weeks. Once you have been enrolled you will be emailed a timetable with exact class dates.

For both the PgCert and MA, please ignore the CELCAT timetable and enter the dates into your Outlook calendar manually.

Do I have to go to the PgCert technical inductions?

The PgCert technical inductions are compulsory. It is important that you know how to set up blogs, for example, before the first classes. In November you will be asked to select one of the technical induction dates.

What if I cannot attend some of the sessions on the timetable?

Attendance at teaching sessions is compulsory, unless stated on the timetable. Live timetables will be made available via Moodle once you are enrolled. If you know you cannot attend some of the dates (particularly the first session of a unit) you should consider delaying your studies to another year.

Am I entitled to remission (replacement cover for my teaching hours) on the PgCert?

UAL staff can find the University policy on remission outlined on Canvas. For more information and to apply for remission please speak to your College staff development contact.


UAL award certificates

After the exam board has approved your grades and if you are eligible for an award you will be contacted by the UAL Awards team. You can opt to have the certificate posted to you or to collect it collection days taking place in late July. Please see here for more information.

We have introduced a new field on your student portal in SITS called “Certificate Address”. It is important you check this address is correct as soon as possible because we shall be sending certificates to this address for those who are unable to collect theirs in person.

Looked through our certificate guide but still not sure about something? Please contact us via this form.

Higher Education Academy (HEA) certificates (PgCert participants only)

After the exam board have approved your PgCert grades and you have successfully met the criteria for Associate Fellowship we will pass your details to AdvanceHE. AdvanceHE will email a PDF of your certificate to you.

How do I get a copy of my UAL certificate or transcript?

Student records for the PgCert and MA Academic Practice are held centrally by UAL Registry. Please contact the Awards team with any questions about certificates and transcripts.