AdvanceHE Fellowship demonstrates a personal commitment to teaching, learning and the student experience. It provides formal recognition that can be used for career planning and progression.
Fellowship via the PgCert
UAL's teaching qualifications are recognised by AdvanceHE. They are part of the accredited University continuing professional development (CPD) framework.
You'll gain Associate Fellow (AFHEA) if you do at least 35 hours a year of HE teaching or learning support and you pass the PgCert Academic Practice. Eligible PgCert participants will prepare a portfolio to then apply for Fellowship (FHEA).
HE teaching or learning support includes:
- all kinds of pedagogic work for courses at FHEQ Level 4 or above
- work on CPD for academic and/or learning support staff.
Fellowship via the Professional Recognition Programme
UAL’s Professional Recognition Programme provides staff with structured guidance to prepare an application for Associate Fellow, Fellow, or Senior Fellow.
You don't have to undertake any academic study as part of the programme. You'll need an independent and self-managed approach, so this route may be better suited for experienced colleagues and some job roles.
The categories of Fellowship don’t necessarily coordinate with specific job titles, roles or seniority. A variety of experiences may allow you to gain Fellowship.
How to apply for Fellowship
Contact email@example.com to register to receive further guidance and details on how to apply to the UAL Professional Recognition Programme.
Associate Fellow (AFHEA)/ Fellow (FHEA)
To apply for Associate Fellow or Fellow you must complete a Thinking Teaching short course.
Join us if you are either relatively new to teaching/support and/or have so far had limited engagement in professional development in teaching and learning.
Senior Fellow (SFHEA)
To achieve professional recognition at Senior Fellow level, review the process and criteria outlined in the Professional Recognition Programme Handbook and other supporting documents below.
Next application deadline
The next deadline for Fellowship claims is Wednesday 13 April 2022 (4pm).
Supporting documents and resources
- UAL Professional Recognition Handbook (PDF 685KB)
- UAL Teaching Excellence Profile (PDF 1,553 KB)
- Use this step by step guide to understand the basics about completing your claim. Get in touch to book a workshop place for further support and to ask questions.
Online support workshops
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place for these online sessions in 2021/22:
- Wed 3 November 2021
- 1-2pm Introduction to Fellowships and the UAL scheme
- Mon 13 December 2021
- 1-2pm Reflecting on your teaching practice
- Tues 18 January 2022
- 1-2pm Teaching Philosophies for AFHEA / FHEA
- 2-3pm What is leadership? for SFHEA
- Fri 11 March 2022
- 10-11am Open workshop for questions about your application
- Tues 22 March 2022
- 12.30-3.30pm Writing workshop