Why choose Illustration?
During this intensive three-week course you will:
- experience a taster of the BA Illustration degree programme at Camberwell College of Arts
- learn from tutors who are practicing artists, designers and communicators; benefit from access to specialist facilities at one of UAL’s six Colleges.
- meet like-minded individuals from around the world!
- get involved in UAL life through social events and activities.
- All courses are assessed and you'll receive a record of study at the end of the programme if you wish to request credit from your home institution.
You should be proficient in written and spoken English and be able to participate in group discussions and make presentations. As a guideline we would expect you to have an English language level equivalent to IELTS score of 6.0 (list of language equivalencies). The Language Centre at University of the Arts London offers English courses for overseas students who wish to improve their English language skills.
Students applying for this course are expected to be independent and highly motivated, preferably having completed one year at university (undergraduate-level study).
The course aims for a high level of creative play and reflection to develop your ideas and understand research topics better.
Outcomes could include images, picture books, series of images, performance, three dimensional objects, text based work or other more idiosyncratic conclusions. With the support of your tutor you will navigate this journey in a way that is meaningful and useful to you.
In the first part of the course, you will be given a series of tasks. We have developed these specifically to push your thinking and making. They will act as starting points to trigger your imagination and generate a body of research from which you will produce an outcome. The tasks will include elements of drawing, experimental image making, role‐play and movement, exploration of unconventional narrative forms, 3D lo‐fi making and will include a research trip in London.
This course will be useful to you if you are interested in authorship, creating stories for picture books or comics, developing a portfolio for further study or simply looking for new methods of research, idea development and experimentation.
This course is suitable for all levels. From ambitious beginners to more established illustrators, designers and artists.
Christopher Lutterodt-Quarcoo (CL-Q) MA(RCA), FRSA, FHEA is an internationally exhibiting Designer, awarding-winning Director of 'Hertz' (BFI Future Film Festival: Best Documentary currently on BFI Player), Writer, Global Speaker and Lecturer. Operating on the axis of Design, Politics & Film; CL-Q is the Director of THE ADV_™ Forum, that weaponises empathy for societal progress, change, and impact. He is also the Founder of the research archive Unmaterialised™, which uses design to investigate political influence on global narratives, beliefs and systems.
Alongside his multiple endeavours, CL-Q has operates as a Designer proceeding commissioned work for exhibitions, conferences and festivals internationally. As well as this, he teaches and develops projects on a range of courses across UAL and other education settings.
Dates and fees
Date: Dates to be scheduled for 2022
Cost: To be confirmed
Total class hours: 120 hours
Non-class hours: 120 hours
Credit value: 12 credits
Location: Camberwell College of Arts
Please bring a drawing and making kit to include:
- Large graphite stick (4B or 6B)
- Range of graphite pencils
- Drawing materials of choice; marker pens; coloured pens/inks
- Range of paper and card
- Glue stick
- Craft knife
- Cutting mat
- Metal ruler
- Masking tape
- laptop/smartphone if desired and any other materials you would like to experiment with.
Summer Study Abroad Scholarship
We offer a Summer Study Abroad Scholarship for all of our 3 week Summer Study Abroad courses.
Find out how to apply
To be eligible, you must be 18 years or older, hold an offer to join one of our 3 week Summer Study Abroad courses, and be enrolled on an undergraduate degree programme outside the UK.
- The scholarships cover the tuition-fee only and depend on you successfully enrolling for the course. Our cancellation policy still applies.
- Scholarship winners will be asked to take part in promotional activities to promote Summer Study Abroad and the scholarship scheme.
Course handbook: Illustration Handbook (479KB)