UAL has two Professional Mentoring schemes. These are open to second and third year undergraduates who are studying at UAL. The Creative Shift programme is also open to 2019 graduates.
What is mentoring?
The Professional Mentoring programme aims to support you to make a living doing what you love.
We match you with someone working in the creative industry (your mentor); they’ll support you to think about your creative career and the steps you need to take to get there.
Mentoring offers you support and guidance over a 6-month period. By the end of the 6 months you will be clearer about your next steps, and have better awareness of opportunities.
In your 1:1 meetings with your mentor you can plan how to get on in your chosen industry. This could help you find work, set up a business, build networks, freelance, and sell your art or service.
In your mentoring meetings you can:
- Plan your next steps into paid work
- Learn about the opportunities that exist within your industry
- Find out how to build professional networks & audiences
- Put together your professional CV / portfolio
- Discuss job application and interview skills
- Strengthen planning skills in: projects and events, problem solving, time management, prioritising to deadlines, navigating change, adapting to new markets or situations
- Develop marketing: effective use of social media, telling your story, showcasing your work
- Build on personal skills: communication, assertiveness, resilience
Who can apply?
There are two Professional Mentoring schemes. Please apply for the right scheme:
Professional Mentoring (Creative Shift)
- a student/graduate whose parent(s) / guardian(s) did not complete a university degree
- and a second or third year undergraduate at UAL / graduated from an undergraduate degree in 2019
- and pay/paid fees as a Home (UK) student
Careers and Employability receives special funding to support to specific groups of students. So one mentoring scheme is for these students only. This identification is for administrative purposes, and kept confidential.
Apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Give your name, student ID number, College and the year you graduate. Please state that your parent(s) / guardian(s) have not completed a university degree.
Professional Mentoring Too
- a second or third year undergraduate at UAL
- and pay fees as a Home (UK) student, an EU student, or an International student
Please note that Professional Mentoring Too is now closed, as it is fully subscribed. In October 2019 we'll release details about when the scheme will re-open.
What happens next?
- You receive confirmation that you are on the mentoring waiting list. (Please give us an email address that you check at least once a week)
- You receive a link to sign up for Mentee Training. This training will help you get the most out of the mentoring process and answer any questions you might have.
- After the training, you can now register with your full profile. In this, you give full details of what you want to achieve in mentoring
- We match you with a mentor, then send you their biography and website for you to read
- When you accept your match, your mentor contacts you to set up a first meeting. If you think your match is not suitable, you need to contact us to discuss this. In some cases, it may be possible to offer a second match.
- You meet with your mentor for at least one hour, 6 times over 6 months – usually one meeting per month (March to August OR October to March).
- At the end of the programme, you complete a feedback survey to tell us how it went.
If I register, will I definitely have a mentor?
Before we can match you with a mentor, you have to complete steps 1 to 5 above. Every year a different group of students register for mentoring, with varying needs. There are no guarantees that we can match everyone. But we have a growing pool of mentors, and we will do our best to find you a match before you graduate. For this reason, we encourage you to apply as early on in your time at UAL as possible.
Join the mentoring mailing list:
Any UAL undergraduate can join our mailing list.
Please contact: email@example.com
Please give your student ID number, stating whether you are a first, second or third year student. Please also state "my parent/s have not got a university degree" if this is the case. (If you are a first year now, we will contact you in your 2nd or 3rd year, when you are eligible for professional mentoring).
Want to become a professional mentor?
To join our pool of talented and dynamic industry creatives, you must have at least 3 years’ experience in your industry. You must attend a one-off mentor training, and be available to offer mentoring over a six month period. Read our Guide for Professional Mentors for full details.
Also please see our Code of Ethics for Professional Mentors.
Careers and Employability encourages diversity within the arts industries. We welcome mentoring applications (mentors and students) from disabled people, those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, and students or creatives whose parents/guardians did not undertake a university course.
The University does not tolerate any form of bullying, harassment or violence. Any reports made about a mentor or mentee will be treated seriously and with sensitivity. This includes any public statements or appearances, and social media.
To raise a concern, please contact the Mentoring Coordinator in the first instance at firstname.lastname@example.org . UAL students can also access confidential advice through the University’s Tell Someone service.
You may also wish to read the Professional Mentoring programme's Privacy Statement.
We run over 150 events each year to support UAL students with their creative careers and businesses.
Read our online resources for advice and guidance on setting yourself up as a freelancer and looking for work.