The Creative Business Accelerator is a programme of business development tailored to support the needs of UAL graduates. Over 6 months you will take part in a series of workshops with industry professionals and peer to peer mentoring to support you in taking your business to the next stage. You will also benefit from mentoring from an industry professional.
Originally developed by UAL Careers and Employability in partnership with Google for Startups, the Creative Business Accelerator will provide you with the tools you need to grow a sustainable and successful creative business and build professional networks.
Applications close at 5pm on Monday 9 May 2022. Please read below for detailed information on how to apply.
Who can apply?
Graduates who have been awarded a Bachelor, Masters or PhD degree from UAL are eligible to apply. Applications can be made up to 5 years after graduation. For your application to be considered you need to:
- already be running a creative business (including social enterprise or commercial) from any creative discipline or developing a product that has potential commercial intellectual property (IP) value
- have spent at least a year on enterprising activity to develop your business/product idea
- have developed some form of income generation for your business/product idea
- have an existing customer/ client base.
The programme aims to promote and progress diversity in the creative and digital industries and applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria are particularly encouraged to apply:
- Your parent(s) or guardian(s) have not completed a university degree.
- You are from a Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic or LatinX background.
- You are from a low-income background.
- You have received a UAL Bursary.
- You are a care leaver or care giver.
We also welcome applications from graduates who are under-represented in the digital industries including LGBTQI+, female and disabled founders.
What we are looking for
We are looking for participants that:
- have plans for the growth of their business
- show how taking part in the Accelerator aligns with their business plans and will benefit them
- are committed to contributing to, and learning from, other Accelerator participants
- have a business that is innovative or offers a unique creative product or service.
As part of the selection process for the Creative Business Accelerator we aim to create a diverse group of participants who are working in different creative disciplines. We particularly welcome applications from those who are running a business with a social or environmental commitment.
What the programme includes
- how to assess your business model and make changes to improve it
- how to price your work, manage cash flows, budget correctly and plan financially
- how to market your practice effectively and reach the clients you want
- how to pitch and make a funding plan
- how to understand and value your IP
- how to make plans to grow/employ people
- how to manage your time effectively.
The programme will offer you the opportunity to:
- source and use new networks and opportunities
- join a varied group of other creative graduates from UAL
- get a better understanding of potential markets and how to develop products or work in relation to these
- gain confidence in making decisions about your business
- have access to industry experts, speakers and trainers who will deliver both workshops and tailored one-to-one advice sessions.
A bursary of £6,000 will be awarded to allow participants to attend and take part fully in all aspects of the programme. The bursary will be paid at key stages during the programme.
Part 1 – June to August 2022
You will attend a series of weekly business development training sessions online led by industry experts and there will be opportunities to have one-to-one advice tailored to your business.
Part 2 – September to November 2022
You will take part in regular peer mentoring sessions developing and applying your learnings from Part 1 as you work together in a group to look at different business challenges.
Part 3 – October 2022 to March 2023
You will be matched with an industry expert who will mentor you as you put your learning into action and further develop your business.
The programme will culminate in a Demo Day where you will present the developments you have made to potential partners and investors.
Who else will be on the programme?
You must agree to
- Commit to attending all sessions during the programme.
- Prioritise and schedule programme sessions - these will take place on Wednesdays from 15 June 2022 to mid-November 2022. The sessions will last 2.5 hours, and the time will be confirmed.
- Commit to being active in developing your business between sessions.
- Prepare for and follow up on all training and one-to-one sessions.
- Commit to actively engage in creating a supportive community with other participants.
- Complete all evaluation questionnaires.
- Give back a total of 6 hours to student enterprise learning at UAL. This could be as a mentor, joining a judging panel for UAL awards, or giving a talk on your business and work.
How to apply and deadlines
Before you start your application make sure you have read all the information on this web page.
Complete the apply for the Creative Business Accelerator form (Word 42KB). You will be asked to talk about:
- your creative business
- your plans for developing and growing it
- how you will benefit from taking part in the Accelerator programme
- how you will contribute as an active member of the group.
If you would prefer to submit a filmed application, please read these filming your application guidelines (PDF 85KB) before you make your application.
Complete this online Creative Business Accelerator submission form. You will be asked to attach your application form to it and will have the opportunity to include any additional materials such as visuals of your work as one additional document.
- Deadline for applications is Monday 9 May 2022, 5pm (BST).
- You will be advised if you have been shortlisted by 18 May 2022.
- If you are shortlisted, you will be invited to present to a panel week commencing 23 May 2022.
- You will be advised if you have been selected for the programme by 31 May 2022.
Please note that all decisions are final.
If you have any questions or believe there are any barriers to your participation in this opportunity, or you have any access requirements you wish to discuss, we would be happy to talk to you.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org