Textile Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds
Do you want a head start in textile design? If you are considering a future in textile design, this course will offer you a variety of textile print techniques, including transfer printing, screen printing, hand painting, metal foiling and flocking. This course is ideal for students who might have studied art and design and want to go on a foundation course or simply develop new skills.
- The course is project-based and encourages the development of ideas and experimentation.
- We will look at pattern, form, colour, design and repeats and will cover both working on fabric and on paper.
- This course will help you source, research and develop your design ideas whilst being fun and stimulating.
- There will be visits to some of London's shops, markets, museums, galleries, and parks as areas of resource.
- A range of different techniques and media will be demonstrated at the start of each day so that students can explore different processes.
The outcome should be a portfolio filled with ideas, samples and potential collections.
Entry requirements: You must be at least 16 and no older than 18 years old.
Please note: This course is for students aged 16 to 18 years old only
Laura Baker is an experienced lecturer in the Textiles programme at Central Saint Martins as well as specialist in 2D print and surface pattern for Fashion and Textiles. She has worked as a textile designer in industry and on a freelance basis for fashion and interiors companies internationally. She is also author of the publication 'Laser Cutting for Fashion and Textiles'.
Please bring to the first session:
- Sketchbook with personal visual references and inspirations, such as drawings, photographs, cut-outs from magazines etc
- Basic materials are supplied, but you may want to bring your own material for printing.