Oil Painting Level 1 Online Short Course
Oil Painting Level 1 is suitable for those new to oil painting and those with some experience, the course will build your painting skills and confidence in the medium of oil paint.
We will throw light on the materials and processes involved, and have you working from still life right from the beginning with particular emphasis given to painting without the use of drawing or preparatory line.
We will look at a range of techniques, including mixing colour, understanding colour harmonies, using different surfaces, glazing and various paint application methods. You will then go on to working on self-directed projects whilst guided through interpreting your initial sketches and concepts, as well as organising them into a plan.
You’ll leave the course with a body of work and you’ll have more awareness of the diverse concepts and production of the generic process of oil painting. Many people move on to Oil Painting Short Course: Level 2 upon completion of this course.
Who should attend
Those who wish to develop the skills to express themselves through the medium of oil painting.
For more information on Online Short Courses please see the below information.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with expert tutors
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- Access to VLE with course content
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Please bring the following materials with you on the first day:
- Palette and palette knife
- An A2 canvas board
- Any objects you might like to see in a still life
- Linseed oil (not stand oil)
- An apron or old shirt to protect your clothes
- 2 empty glass jars for your medium
- Selection of brushes - bristle and/or synthetic (see pdf for further details)
- Selection of Oil Paints (see pdf for further details)
While an A2 canvas board is recommended by the tutor, you are welcome to bring additional boards, canvases or other painting surfaces in your preferred size or shape.
The tech requirements:
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you
- Access to two separate web browsers, we recommend Safari and Google Chrome
- A headset with microphone/headphones is recommended
- Headphones – so you don't annoy the neighbours
- Webcam (We won't force you to use this, but you might decide you would like to say hello)
- Imprimatura to create an under painting
- Colour theory and mixing colour
- Drawing with paint
- Creating form and space using colour
- Glazing and scumbling
- Various paint application methods
- Balance and Harmony in painting
- Using different mixing mediums
Meet the Tutor:
Oil Painting - Level 1 is suitable for those new to oil painting and those with some experience, the course will build your painting skills and confidence in the medium of oil paint.