Art Theory Introduction to Aesthetics Taster Online Short Course
If you have ever asked yourself about ‘what art means’ or ‘why art matters’, or even thought about why people make art in the first place, this taster session will offer some ways that we approach these big concerns in the Art Theory Introduction to Aesthetics Online Short Course.
During this taster session, you will hear about the many different essential philosophical questions we ask about art and why they matter. We will run through some of the most pressing issues in the field and visit some of the most exciting thinkers who have contributed to it along the way.
Who should attend this course?
This taster session is suitable for anyone who is new to art theory and curious about the field. No prior knowledge is necessary as this course is introductory and aims to get you familiar with how it works from an entry-level position. However, those with a knowledge of art history of philosophy can benefit by seeing how they might expand their intellectual toolkit with this course.
By the end of this taster course students should:
- Get a sense of what questions drive theories of art.
- Understand the relevance of aesthetics to other artistic and academic fields.
- Have an overview of some key thinkers in the field from different ages.
- Have an idea of what other fields they could connect this to.
Delivered by one of our professional and experienced tutors Theo Carnegy-Tan, this session we will give you an insight into his course, Art Theory Introduction to Aesthetics.
You will have plenty of opportunities to ask questions and leave with a greater awareness of art theory and aesthetics and of your potential.
Why should you attend a taster session?
- Taking a taster course is a great way to figure out what your next move should be, whether it is a degree, a short course or career change.
- It can be a great way to figure out which short course to take.
- You will get an insight into what it means to study at UAL.
- You will meet our professional and experienced tutors, who will give you an insight into the subject and answer all the questions you have been meaning to ask.
- You will meet like-minded people from different background and corners of the world.
- And even if you realise it is not for you, it will help you figure out what is.
- What is aesthetics?
- What are most important questions in aesthetics
- Why should I care about theories of art?
- Who are some of the ‘big names’ in the field
- How can I start to understand and engage with this area
Please bring with you:
- A notebook
- A pen
To take part in this online session you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Meet the Tutor:
Join us on this taster course and gain an insight into the world of art theory and aesthetics.
This taster session is ideal for anyone with an interest in this area. Whether you are considering taking a short course, further study, or just have a curiosity and would like to learn more about the subject for your own projects.