Service Design and Innovation Intensive Online Short Course
Are you ready to drive innovation, adapt for the future, and better understand your users? With a bespoke 3 day practical course, UAL offers a fun but immersive learning experience, working in multidisciplinary teams on live briefs, problem solving, co-designing and prototyping solutions. By the end of the course, you will be able to apply a range service design tools to better engage with your customers and stakeholders, tackle business challenges, and innovate.
This course will explore service design as a human centred problem solving process. It will consider the importance of staff, users and everyone that has a relationship with a service. Through a dynamic mix of short talks and guided hands-on teamwork including a range of invaluable tools for problem solving, customer research and business development, you will understand the theory and application of service design. You will be guided through a tried and tested design process in teams to respond to a live brief and develop a potential product/service. Working will be intense and collaborative, and overall rewarding.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the principles of designing thinking, and practical tools to take away
- Solve business problems and make better decisions through creative thinking
- Describe and pitch your ideas to internal and external stakeholders
- Find and use a range of techniques for innovation thinking, to address business and operational challenges in your own organisation
- Instigate real service innovation projects in your organisation
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session:
- notebook and pen
Teaching and learning is based on LCC’s MA Service Experience Design and Innovation. Communication and innovation are at the core of service design, as with all the courses of the College. On this course the methodologies typical of service design will be enhanced by LCC’s historical leadership in the fields of communication. Methods and tools will include:
- User research
- Stakeholder mapping and profiling
- Prototyping (digital and physical), testing and improving
- Co-design and facilitation
- Information analysis and synthesis (customer journey mapping and blueprinting)
- Business modelling (including lean and agile approaches)
Meet the Tutor:
Drive innovation and better understand users with a range service design tools at Service Design and Innovation Intensive Short Course.