Chelsea College of Arts has an extensive range of professional workshops and facilities.
Chelsea’s 3D workshops are fully equipped to industry standards. They are staffed by a highly experienced team of specialist technicians. All students get inductions to the workshops. You will also receive an ongoing skills development program tailored to your individual needs.
- Metal - work with steel using techniques like welding, bending, braising, cutting, rolling and lathe work
- Wood - make small scale models and large scale structures
- Foundry - pour molten aluminium or bronze into moulds
- Casting - cast in materials including aluminium, bronze, clay, plaster, porcelain, slip and wax
- Ceramics - use clay, earthenware and porcelain to make small or large scale work
- Laser Cutting - work with metal, plastics, wood, fabrics and other materials
Chelsea's photography facilities provide a range of cameras, lighting and other related equipment that students can loan. We have 4 photography studios. Students from all courses can book the studios. They are used to make original photographic images or to document work made in other mediums. The studios are run by 2 specialist photography technicians.
Chelsea has an audio visual editing studio that offers studio space and equipment loan. The college’s digital print studio has 7 different printers, 2 iMacs and 2 scanners. There is a print finish and display workshop dedicated to 2D works. The library also has Macs, PCs and scanners students can use.
Chelsea has specialist facilities for our BA and MA Textile Design courses. Equipment available for students:
- Digital and screen printing workshops
- Knitting and sewing machines
- Print and dye facilities
- Looms for weaving
Project and Maker Spaces
Chelsea has a variety of project spaces for use by students. These range from small studios to larger exhibition spaces, such as the Triangle Space. Our maker space is a student led space.