skip to main content

Freedom of Information

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, University of the Arts London, along with other publicly funded bodies, is required to have a Publication Scheme.

The University’s Publication Scheme sets out the information that is held by us and what information is routinely available to the public, staff and students. The aim of the Publication Scheme is to help the public understand what publicly funded bodies do and how they do it.

The University’s Publication Scheme shows what information is freely available, how it can be accessed and who to contact. If the information requested is not contained in the Scheme, the information sought is then subject to a freedom of information request.

From January 2005 the public has the right, under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, to request any information held by the University, which is not already available through the University’s Publication Scheme. Requests have to be made in recordable form (in writing, by email) and generally have to be responded to within 20 working days.

The University will not be required to release information to which an exemption in the Act legitimately applies. However the University does need to explain to the applicant why information is not being released i.e. the qualifying reasons for withholding information.

As well as the public, all staff and students can make a freedom of information request. As a prospective student most of the information you request (prospectuses, courses) would probably be contained in the Publication Scheme and freely available through the contact.

As a new or continuing student you might be searching for information not held in the Publication Scheme, in which case you would make a freedom of information request in recordable form (in writing, by email). The request would be dealt with centrally in the Governance and Legal Affairs Office. Telephone 020 7514 6484 or email for more information.

Further guidance on Freedom of Information can be found on the Information Commissioner's website.

Governance and legal affairs