Cartooning, Comics, Graphic Novels and Beyond for 11 to 15 Years Old Online Short Course
What are comics? What kinds of comics are there, and how do you start drawing one? In this course, you will master the basics of creating your own comics, led by professional artist Irina Richards.
In session 1, you will learn more about features of comics as an art form, and will start developing your own visual story. In session 2, you will practice aspects of comic creation and look at pacing and panelling as your comic takes shape. In session 3, you will complete your comic, adding details, text and colour. The course outcome will be creating a complete short comic, which you can continue to expand in your own time. All artistic abilities are welcome.
Who should attend
Anyone aged 11 to 15 who is interested in art and design. If you have an interest in reading or drawing comics, graphic novels and/or manga, and enjoy creating your own stories, this course is for you!
- You will create your own comic
- Develop your own personal style and techniques for future work
All our online short courses include:
- Live online lessons, all of?our classes are live, you won't find any recordings here
- Clear, explanations and easy to understand lessons.
- Live demonstrations, you can see exactly how things should be done
- Live interaction with your classmates from around the world, our students come from far and wide
- Ask questions of your tutor, using your microphone and camera, or if you're not feeling brave, in the chat box
- Receive feedback on your work
How to book:
- Click add to basket
- If you are an adult booking a place for a child or teenager, you will need two email addresses one for your booking confirmation email and one for the student. *
- Select the option to book for someone else
- Add the bookers details under Your details
- And the students details under Delegate 1
* In the case that your child does not have an email address, please create their account with an alternative email address. If you need help with booking, please use our online chat or call 0207 514 7015
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- The basics of comic design
- The development of narrative
- The use of colour and detail
- Plain paper (ordinary printer paper is fine)
- Pencil sharpener
- Black fine liner pen (any make)
- Colouring pencils/markers etc. optional
Online short course materials
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Meet the Tutor:
During this online course for 11 to 15 year olds, explore the basics of creating your own cartoons and comic strips.