Create a Fashion Portfolio - Intermediate
This course will give you an authentic Central Saint Martins experience that will take you through the process of collecting exciting personal research from diverse and inspiring sources. You will document your responses through drawing, photography and collage in order to create a rich and exciting research archive. This will lead you from innovative idea development and experimental design through to finished designs, which will be presented in an individual and unique portfolio.
Your portfolio should represent your personal approach to fashion design. You will be encouraged to respond creatively to your personal research and to develop unique presentation skills.
- You will search for inspiration in unexpected places, finding and creating references that express your personal point of view.
- We will begin by visiting galleries and various places of interest to gather an extensive set of images that will reflect your creative universe.
- The course will take you through a series of individual and group tutorials.
- Intensive drawing workshops will help you to develop your fashion muse and to discover your own individual drawing style.
- You will work with your design tutors to interpret your research by responding to your images and documenting your experimentation.
- Using a dress stand, you will decide on scale, proportion and technique, which will lead to further idea development for garment design, fabric manipulation, prints and embroideries.
By the end of the course you will have created a unique portfolio of work that represents your individuality and personal style.
Who should take this course?
This is an intermediate course aimed at students with some prior experience in art and design. In order to fully benefit from this unique course, students must engage with and respond creatively to their personal research.
Some previous experience in art and design is required. You will be expected to be ambitious and push your understanding of fashion by challenging any preconceived ideas. This course is for students aged 18 years and over. Students aged 16 and 17 years old can find a similar course by visiting our courses for teenagers section of the website.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Stephanie Cooper works as a freelance designer on projects internationally and also works as a fashion stylist. She is tutor on BA Fashion at CSM and a visiting tutor at the Royal College of Arts.
Elisa Palomino is Senior Lecturer and Pathway tutor on BA Fashion Print at Central Saint Martins. Elisa is a Spanish born designer who has graduated from Central Saint Martins with an MA in Fashion Design and has worked in some of the most prestigious Fashion Houses, including Moschino, Roberto Cavalli and Christian Dior Haute Couture. She was appointed Head of Studio for John Galliano, where she worked for eight years. Most recently Elisa Palomino held the position of Vice President of Design for Diane von Furstenberg. In 2010 Elisa Palomino launched her own collection during New York Fashion Week. This first collection was bought in its entirety by Dolce & Gabbana for the opening of the concept store SPIGA 2. Further stockists include; Couturelab (London), Ra (Antwerp and Paris), Eleonora (Rome), Rail (Brescia), Liliane Romi (Paris), Al Ostoura (Kuwait), Front Row (Beirut), Harvey Nichols & Mayass (Riyadh). Elisa's collections have been showcased at Milano On Stage, Milano Loves Fashion, AltaRoma and Cibeles Madrid. Having moved her creative studio to London, Elisa has shown at London Fashion Week. http://www.elisapalomino.com
Please bring the following to your first session:
- Fine liner pens
- Watercolour paints
- Felt tip pens
- Glue stick