Introduction To Sportswear Design Weekend
Sportswear is an ever-growing influence in contemporary fashion and in this course you will be introduced to the basic process of designing and developing a sportswear garment.
You will be introduced to the different areas within contemporary sportswear (performance; casual and workwear; high-end fashion) and then through a small design project you will develop one garment into a technical drawing.
Through this process we will explore research (focusing on detail and functionality), sketching, fabric selection and garment construction, and techniques.
- Sportswear’s place within the broader contemporary fashion context
- The different segments of sportswear design (performance; casual and workwear; high-end fashion)
- Sportswear specific research
- Technical aspects of sportswear – fabrics, functional details and garment construction techniques
- Basic garment technical package and construction
Who is the course aimed at?
Fashion students looking to focus on sportswear or anyone with an interest in fashion design. Design experience is not essential.
- A technical drawing of a garment designed by the student
- An insight into how research is undertaken in the industry
- Basic knowledge of the design process of a sportswear garment
- Recommended bibliography (books, websites, magazines, shops, brands etc.)
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Gabriel is a menswear designer. He graduated from Central Saint Martins BA (Hons) Fashion Menswear and was awarded the LVMH Graduate prize, 2015. In the same year he was shortlisted for the H&M Design Award and his work has been featured in
Vogue (UK and Italy), ID online, Dazed digital, Wonderland magazine and GQ China.
After working at Kenzo in Paris, he is currently designing for the TH Collection line at Tommy Hillfiger in Amsterdam.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- 10-15 reference images (that can be used as inspiration for garments)
- USB stick