Introduction To Sportswear Design Weekend
Sportswear is an ever-growing influence in contemporary fashion and in this course you will be introduced to the basic process of designing and developing a sportswear garment.
You will be introduced to the different areas within contemporary sportswear (performance; casual and workwear; high-end fashion) and then through a small design project you will develop one garment into a technical drawing.
Through this process we will explore research (focusing on detail and functionality), sketching, fabric selection and garment construction, and techniques.
- Sportswear’s place within the broader contemporary fashion context
- The different segments of sportswear design (performance; casual and workwear; high-end fashion)
- Sportswear specific research
- Technical aspects of sportswear – fabrics, functional details and garment construction techniques
- Basic garment technical package and construction
Who is the course aimed at?
Fashion students looking to focus on sportswear or anyone with an interest in fashion design. Design experience is not essential.
- A technical drawing of a garment designed by the student
- An insight into how research is undertaken in the industry
- Basic knowledge of the design process of a sportswear garment
- Recommended bibliography (books, websites, magazines, shops, brands etc.)
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Online short courses
Did you know we offer a similar course online? UAL online short courses are designed to help creative people master new challenges, develop their skills, get inspired by new ideas and access the UAL learning experience without having to travel to a campus for class.
This course will be taught by a respected industry expert.
Please bring with you to the first session:
- 10-15 reference images (that can be used as inspiration for garments)
- USB stick
IMPORTANT - Adobe ID Login for Short Course Students
Students will need to create an account with Adobe (unless you already have one) in order to access the Adobe suite at the college – instructions are included below. You will need to use a personal email address to create this. If you already have an account with Adobe, please make sure you bring your login details with you on the first day of the course.
- Creating an Adobe account is free.
- The software will only be accessible when logged into a UAL networked computer
- The same account can be used outside of the University, but software will only be accessible through a personal paid subscription that students will need to set up independently
- You can still create an account on the day but doing this beforehand will save time and avoid delays to the start of the class.
- If you already have an Adobe ID/ subscription you can use this on your short course rather than setting up a new account.
To create an account students will need to:
- Go to Adobe Sign in page.
- Select ‘Create an account’
- Enter your details and select ‘Create account’