Fashion Design For Beginners (Online)
This course is aimed at students who would like to explore the fashion design process, but have little or no prior experience. You will be taught fundamental skills such as choosing a concept, sources of research, developing ideas into fashion sketches, designs and a collection line up. You will have the opportunity to present your collection back to the class at the end of the course and receive feedback.
The course is split in to 3 sections:
- Choosing inspiration, developing a personal fashion statement/ identity
- Compiling the creative visuals into sketchbooks to inspire new ideas
- Selecting a colour palette and fabric options.
- Creating a fashion template as a tool to communicate design ideas
- Developing initial silhouettes, rendering designs
- Considering print and embellishment.
- Layout and helpful tools for portfolio presentation
- Preparing a line up of 10 outfits to present back to the class
By the end of the course you will taken the all-important first step on your journey with Fashion Design. You will have learnt the fundamental skills needed to research, plan and design a collection, and developed techniques to allow you to communicate your creative vision to others. You will have produced a body of work that can be added to a portfolio that can be used to enter further study if you choose take Fashion Design further, and will have received expert feedback from your tutor on how to continue your Fashion Designs.
Who is Fashion Design for Beginners (Online) for
This course is beginner level, so you won't need any prior experience of design work, only a love of fashion and a desire to explore the subject. This course will provide an excellent foundation for students who are considering pursuing further qualifications in Fashion Design, and will allow you to create some fantastic initial pieces for a portfolio.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Kiren Passi is a luxury Fashion Designer who trained at Christian Dior in Paris and subsequently worked as a womanswear Designer in London, Italy and New York. Kiren’s extensive International Fashion Experience has meant she has engaged with craft communities across the world including Bali, India, Nepal, Japan and Hong Kong.
One of CSM’s PG Certified and long standing short course tutors, teaching at CSM for over 10 years, Kiren’s Fashion and Textile education includes a BA Hon’s from UAL and an MA from the prestigious Royal College of Art. She was awarded a Swarovski design prize in 2016.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
- A4 Sketchbook
- Blue tack
- Magazines (to cut up)
- Design pens (0.1, 0.5.0.8)
- Colouring pencils