Experimental Fashion Design (Online Short Course)
This experimental fashion design course is for students that have some experience in fashion design but would like to take their design skills further and explore their creative potential. Throughout the course you will be taught how to believe in your ideas and concepts, and gain confidence to develop them into something exciting. You will begin with in-depth research to really inspire and kick-start your creativity. The course will then introduce you to different ways of developing your individual ideas and concepts. You will work on 3D and 2D exercises that will help inform your designs in order to create a unique fashion collection. This can be anything from a contemporary wearable collection to sculptures worn on a body - wherever you want to establish yourself as a contemporary designer.
- Defining yourself as a designer
- Completing inspirational research
- Developing your designs with 3D techniques
- Expressing ideas with collage
- Working with stencils
- Producing Toiles
- Creating a collection
- Filipa, former student
By the end of the course you will have accumulated an extensive body of work - a sketchbook filled with research, development in 3D and 2D and designs. You will also have an illustrated collection for your portfolio. This is a fun course where there are no limits to your creativity. You will also gain:
- An increased knowledge of fashion design
- An increased knowledge of research and development
- Experience in draping and 3D development
- An increased knowledge of drawing and illustration
- Increased knowledge of what goes into a fashion portfolio
Who is Experimental Fashion Design (Online) for
This is an intermediate level course, to take part you will need some prior experience of Fashion Design. It will teach you how to create the new and fascinating designs, and is particularly useful for designers looking to broaden their creative horizons.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Why choose a CSM Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience Central Saint Martins wherever you are in the world. Additionally, all CSM Online Short Courses include
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- CSM Certificate upon completion
Visit Frequently Asked Questions for further details about preparing for your online course, including any equipment you need.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To compare times, please check World Time Buddy.
Kiren Passi is a luxury Fashion Designer who trained at Christian Dior in Paris and subsequently worked as a womenswear Designer in London, Italy and New York. Kiren’s extensive International Fashion Experience has meant she has engaged with craft communities across the world including Bali, India, Nepal, Japan and Hong Kong.
One of CSM’s PG Certified and long standing short course tutors, teaching at CSM for over 10 years, Kiren’s Fashion and Textile education includes a BA Hon’s from UAL and an MA from the prestigious Royal College of Art. She was awarded a Swarovski design prize in 2016.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
Please bring the following materials to the first session
- Pen and paper
For later sessions you will need:
- Drawing materials
- 2-3m of fabric of your choice