Draping Womenswear Design Online Short Course
Fashion draping is an intuitive, playful and enjoyable way for anyone to develop and create ideas and garments. By working with fabric and pins on a mannequin you can experiment with different methods of draping and visualise your ideas quickly, finding inspiration without having to spend time making finished pieces.
This online course will teach you the draping tools of a professional fashion designer and you will get a deep understanding of the principles of draping and how various fabrics can be manipulated by twisting, folding, gathering and layering to produce the most amazing results. You will create collages and sketches of your inspiration and design garments based on your draping designs.
You will be taught through weekly online classes in which your tutor will demonstrate different types of draping, including an A-line skirt and a bodice. This is a practical course where you are expected to experiment with draping and photograph your creations in tasks set both in class and for you to complete in your own time.
This course offers an introduction to draping for anyone who is interested in developing their design skills. It is ideal for fashion designers who would like to improve their knowledge of draping techniques in order to take their design business further or for beginners who would like to develop their portfolio for a degree application.
Who is Introduction to the Draping Womenswear Design (Online Short Course) for?
This course is useful for anyone considering a career in fashion, or current designers or students who want to revisit this key area of the fashion design process.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
Please ensure that you have the following materials to hand during the course:
- dummy-figure (example)
- 7 meters of light weight calico (at least 1,60m wide)
- digital camera
- fabric scissors
- tape measure
- felted pens
- dressmakers tape or ribbon
- The origins of draping and historical costumes
- How to prepare your dummy
- Experimenting on the dummy
- How to cut your piece of fabric
- Examples of draping in contemporary fashion
- Introduction to draping with fabric manipulations
- How to photograph your designs
- Draping a skirt
- How to mark a garment
- Draping without pins
- Designing garments based on your draping
- Draping a bodice
- Draping with bias detail
- Developing your designs in 2D
- How to prepare a presentation of your work
- Making collages and sketches
By the end of the course you will be able to;
- Create your own research before you start to drape and sketch
- Work in a sketchbook as well as with fabric on a dummy
- Create designs you can add to your portfolio
- Drape a garment with or without pins
- Photograph and present your designs in an effective way
Meet the Tutor:
In this online short course, you will learn different draping techniques for womenswear design. You will develop a deep understanding of manipulating various fabrics, whether to design clothes for yourself or high-end fashion collections.