How to Become an Independent Curator Online Short Course
This course will provide you with an essential tool kit with which to become an independent curator. It has a track record for launching careers and educational paths in this field. The course is designed to help you think critically about the role of the curator and for you to identify and establish your own curatorial approach.
You will be guided through the essentials of curating your own exhibition, gallery or on-going art project and the practicalities of organising this.
The course will include virtual gallery visits, covering a range of curatorial models, where you will meet and have the opportunity to speak with professionals in the field. It also includes an online guest lecture from an established curator. For the part-time evening course, the online gallery visit and guest lecture will be scheduled for the fifth week of the course on a Saturday.
PLEASE NOTE: until further notice the gallery visits and guest lecture will all be online.
Working in small groups, you will create a proposal and presentation ready to translate into an actual exhibition. By the end of the course you will have the confidence and understanding of how to develop and present your own independently curated projects.
Who should take this course?
The course is designed for anyone considering embarking on a career as an independent curator or following an educational path in this field.
It is suitable for those who wish to gain an insight into the practicalities of independent curating and an overview of career opportunities in this area.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please source the following materials:
- notebook and pen
- promotional material from an exhibition that has inspired you (this can include a link to a website).
- Developing an idea or concept
- Finding a venue
- Liaising with artists - including contracts and commission
- Different curatorial approaches
- Apply for funding and sponsorship
- Forming partnerships
- Working to budgets
- Successfully marketing and documenting your exhibition
- Writing a press release
- Presenting/ pitching your project
Meet the Tutor:
This course will provide you with an essential tool kit with which to become an independent curator, helping you think critically about the role of the curator and for you to identify and establish your own curatorial approach.