Typography (Summer Evenings)
Typography is simply the visual manipulation of the printed or digital word. Yet, while typography can bring great insight into how text functions, can enhance clarity within project management and cultivate the skills required to produce really successful visual communication, so many people remain utterly intimidated by it! This course is designed to help everyone, from the newcomer to the professional to find confidence in their own typographic voice.
We will begin by exploring basic elements and the principles for their effective and creative use.
Key areas covered by the course will include:
- choosing typefaces and how to get the best from them
- identifying the assorted typographic voices surrounding us everyday
- strategies for working with different kinds of texts
- content analysis
- finding inspiration in the richness of language
- ways to give your work authority through use of structure
- details that can transform ordinary work into something truly extraordinary
Ideas presented are explored visually through projects embracing both type as information and type as art. Project critiques will be held in order to instigate group interaction and discussion.
Please note that this course is a computer free zone.
Entry requirements: None
Level: All levels
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older
Please bring with you to the first session:
- A3 Layout pad
- Masking Tape
- Any old magazines that you don't mind cutting up