Film School in a Week Online Short Course
Covering ideas generation, pre-production, shooting and post-production this course is designed for aspiring feature and documentary filmmakers.
Using a DSLR camera to illuminate the process, you will write, direct and edit a film. You’ll learn the visual language of filmmaking, camera settings, lighting control, framing, and getting to grips with technical equipment and editing software, enabling you to tell a story through film
You’ll work in a group, taking a variety of different roles to create a film you can use to apply for further study or work opportunities in the film industry.
At the end of the course there will be the opportunity to screen your film to friends and family. An opportunity to network, socialise and build contacts.
Who Should Attend
This course has been designed for people who want to know more about the film industry and filmmaking as a profession. It is perfect for you if you want to apply for further study in filmmaking, or are exploring a career in production, directing or editing.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Further details about preparing for your online course, and the equipment you need, can be found here.
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here.
Online short course materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Chrome)
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended. The built-in microphone in your device would also be fine)
- Strong Internet connection - we recommend a minimum of 2 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload, faster if possible. You can test your network speed here - https://www.speedtest.net
Please bring for the first session
- Notebook and pen
- Ideas generation
- Storytelling: Cast, Character and Script
- Documentary story treatments
- Introduction to equipment
- Pre-production planning
- Shooting on location
- Editing (Adobe Premiere software)
- Screening and group discussion
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- Understand the visual language of filmmaking
- Write a short script or documentary story treatment
- Produce and edit a short scripted or documentary film
- Present your work and your personal filmmaking “manifesto”
Meet the Tutor:
Film School in a Week Online Short Course is an intensive, practical introduction to the practice of filmmaking. Covering pre-production, character development and editing youll finish the week with a short film for your portfolio.