Looking to start your own business? Or grow an existing one? Creative Enterprise Awards are funding and support packages to help grow new business ideas and nurture enterprising initiatives developed by UAL students and graduates.
Our graduates often go on to launch exciting new creative businesses or social enterprises and we’d like to celebrate this and support them in their first steps.
How to apply
Complete the application form and submit online. The deadline for applications is 10am, 1 June 2020.
Please read the guidelines for applicants before submitting your entry and submit application form below with your entry.
- Creative Enterprise Awards Guidelines for Applicants 2020 (69KB PDF)
- Creative Enterprise Awards Application Form 2020 (27KB Word)
The awards are run in partnership with industry leaders and organisations. Apply for a grant of up to £5,000 plus a share of prizes including: showcasing opportunities, leading industry mentorship and specialist business training.
What we're looking for
An idea or business that demonstrates one or more of the following:
- Creative businesses or projects with a positive social aim, or ethical practice
- An original product or service that addresses a clear market need
- Community engaged projects/interventions
- An idea with good growth potential
- Scope for international relationships/trade
- A strong focus on technology (not limited to digital technologies)
- A freelance or service-based creative business
- An artist or maker with a commercial practise
Your application and pitch should include:
- A business model that clearly identifies how the business will be sustainable
- Evidence of your skills, experience and determination to succeed
- Market Research
- Demonstrate your plans and potential for growth
Open to current UAL students and recent graduates (within 2 years of graduation).
The Award categories
The award categories are:
The maker award is open to individuals who produce and sell creative work or products to the public or collectors.
The global award is open to businesses that operate internationally, with a substantial proportion of business coming from international clients or customers.
3. Social Enterprise
The social enterprise award is open to individuals or companies with socially-led objectives or ethical or sustainable practises at the heart of what they do.
4. Community project
The community project award is open to projects that have a focus on community engagement or intervention. This award is aimed at those who may not be operating as a company or business.
The technology award celebrates businesses or individuals whose work demonstrates innovative uses of technology.
The freelancer award is open to self-employed individuals or small companies who work on a contract basis to provide a creative service to clients.
The innovation award celebrates businesses or individuals whose work demonstrates innovation at its heart. It may be creating a new product, a new market or a new way of doing things.
Get support for your application
To help you prepare for your application, get support in the following ways:
- Attend our Enterprise Programme of events throughout the year
- Get one to one business planning advice
- Join our mailing list to be the first to find out more.
International students and graduates
International students and graduates who wish to set up a business in the UK after graduating will need to apply for a Start-up Visa. More information is available on our International Start-up Visa page.
Please email email@example.com
Hear how winning a Creative Enterprise Award in 2019 helped these 2 UAL graduate businesses.
Watch our film on how to prepare for a successful creative pitch featuring Carolyn Dailey, founder of Creative Entrepreneurs.
Get your creative business or freelance practice off the ground with our programme of free events. See what's coming up this term...