skip to main content

Brexit information for students

At UAL we are committed to all of our current and prospective students, including those from the European Union (EU). We value our place in the European cultural environment and believe that knowledge and scholarship are borderless.

"I am convinced that UAL can continue to thrive following any Brexit outcome, because the world needs creativity. We are outward-looking, entrepreneurial and fundamentally optimistic.

Our close partnerships and friendships in many countries will help us to maintain that outlook over the coming years.  Above all, we know there is huge need across the world for the British art and design school way of teaching."

Nigel Carrington, Vice-Chancellor

UAL and Brexit

The UK referendum of June 2016 resulted in a vote in favour of leaving the European Union (EU) - this process has been referred to as 'Brexit'. Currently, UK membership enables students and staff from across the EU to come to UAL to study, practice, research, collaborate, teach and more. The UK government is still negotiating an exit agreement with the EU and the withdrawal deadline currently stands at 31 January 2020. The UK is about to enter a General Election campaign and we expect no further updates during this period. Once a withdrawal agreement is in place, a 'transition period' (currently until December 2020) is expected to follow.

As we appreciate, there is on-going uncertainty due to the extension dates and continuing developments within the UK government’s approach. As soon as further information is made available we will publish it here. The information below is correct at the time of writing on the basis of current government policy.

Reviewed and updated: 31 October 2019

EU Settlement Scheme Briefing Sessions

If / when the UK leaves the EU, it is expected that EU nationals and their families will need to have evidence of their rights to be in the UK within a specific period of time.

UAL is encouraging its students who are EU nationals, or family members of EU nationals, to apply under the UK Home Office EU Settlement Scheme, to ensure they can meet any future requirements.

These sessions have been arranged to brief UAL students on the scheme. Book a place below.

Current students

EU, EEA and Swiss students

The immigration status of all current EU, EEA and Swiss students, along with fee status and access to student loans, has not changed as a result of the UK's decision to leave the EU. This will remain the case until the UK government decides otherwise.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. Settled status gives you the right to live and work in the UK and give you access to public services, including medical care under the National Health Service (NHS).

The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021 if a withdrawal agreement is reached or 31 December 2020 if the UK exits the EU without a deal. Please see further guidance provided by the UK government.

Check out the current student section of our Brexit FAQs (PDF 218KB).

UK and international students

If you’re travelling overseas during the period of withdrawal or after the UK leaves the EU, please follow government guidance on GOV.UK.

Check out the current student section of our Brexit FAQs (PDF 218KB).

Prospective EU students

We currently have students from over 130 countries studying with us as part of our internationally-diverse community, with around 3,000 students from the EU making up 15% of the student body. We understand that our prospective students, applicants and offer holders have many questions surrounding Brexit, which our FAQs aim to address; and further guidance is also available within the resources section below.

Travelling to the UK for your studies

At the present time, EU, EEA and Swiss nationals living or arriving in the UK before Brexit can apply to live and study in the UK via the Settlement Scheme. Those arriving in the country after the UK has departed the EU, the date of which is yet uncertain, will still be able to arrive in the UK without a visa. However, new arrivals will need to register through either the Settlement Scheme or a new European Temporary Leave to Remain scheme, dependent on the manner of the UK’s exit.

Fees and funding

Eligible students enrolling on their programme who are assessed as 'Home' or 'EU' fee-payers both in this academic year (2019/2020) and next academic year (2020/2021), will pay the same tuition fees and will not see any changes to their loan eligibility, as a result of UK government guarantees. The government has issued reassurances that the guarantee applies for the full duration of enrolment on that specific programme and this will apply regardless of the nature of Brexit.

Check out the prospective student section of our Brexit FAQs (PDF 218KB).

Short term study at UAL - Language Centre, Short Courses, Study Abroad

At the present moment, we do not expect Brexit to cause any impact to our Short Courses/Study Abroad/Language Centre EU, EEA and Swiss students. If there are any changes or further announcements from the UK government relating to travelling to and from the UK for short periods of study, we will contact all affected students to update them.

Whatever the outcome of current negotiations, UAL is, and intends to remain, a thriving, cosmopolitan community of artists, scholars and students united in our commitment to delivering world class education in art and design. The departure from the EU will not change this; our staff and students from across the world are as warmly welcome as ever. For further information and guidance please see the UK government’s guide for visiting the UK after Brexit.

Check out the short term study section of our Brexit FAQs (PDF 218KB).


The UK’s continued access to the Erasmus+ scheme is referenced in the withdrawal agreement. This means, if the UK leaves the European Union with the withdrawal agreement deal in place, it has been confirmed that the UK will continue to participate in Erasmus+ until the end of 2020, and students could receive Erasmus+ funding for study exchange and traineeships until the end of the 2020/21 academic year.

Check out the Erasmus+ section of our Brexit FAQs (PDF 218KB).