Drawing heavily on experimentation and individual development, this course will provide you with the fundamentals skills required for understanding drawing tools and approaches. Structured around the life model, the course will introduce materials and techniques that are crucial for those who wish to carry on exploring painting and more advanced drawing techniques...
Taught by: Ilga Leimanis, Alice White.
Drawing heavily on experimentation and individual development, this course will provide you with the fundamentals skills required for understanding drawing tools and approaches. Structured around the life model, the course will introduce materials and techniques that are crucial for those who wish to carry on exploring painting and more advanced drawing techniques. It culminates with the study of combined practice, in which all acquired techniques are brought together, forming a basis for you to further develop your creativity.
It is essential that students attend the first session for an introduction to the course and an in-depth lecture on materials and practices.
- Introducing drawing materials
- Mark-making techniques
- Studying human proportion
- Building composition skills
- Using drawing inks, both with the nib and the brush
Who should take this course?
- Absolute beginners
- Those keen to strengthen their portfolio application to further studies
- Students with some previous experience wishing to reinvigorate their practice
Entry requirements: None
Ilga Leimanis MA is a London-based artist and writer. She is a member of Five Years, an artist-run gallery, and her own practice is collaborative and interdisciplinary. Her teaching experience of 10 years is varied and extensive. She helps prepare students for degree courses and many of her previous students have gained places at their preferred schools. She also works with professionals looking to develop their communication and creativity skills, as well as people taking courses for personal interest.
Ilga delivers workshops for the University of the Arts (UAL) Academic Support department, working across six UAL art and design colleges. She teaches manual drawing skills for architects and engineers working at leading offices in London, including at Foster+Partners, and she also works internationally.
Ilga is author of three chapters in Creative Sketching Workshop, published by Apple Press (UK), North Light Books (North America) and Tan Yang International (Asia).
Please bring with you to the first session:
- You will need an A3 portfolio or tube to carry work home with you
- Pad of A3 Paper - suitable both for drawing and watercolours
- Pencils- H, HB, 2B, 4B, 6B
- White chalk
- Willow Charcoal sticks
- Fixative Spray
- Putty Rubber
- Masking Tape
- Dip Drawing Pen and various drawing nibs
- Drawing Ink- Sepia, Brown Umber, or Black preferred
- Round Wash Brush, large
- A4 sheets of coloured paper- black, brown, or any dark colour preferred
- Water Pot
- A Palette
- PVA Glue
- Small sketch/note book
- Piece of cloth or rag.