On this fashion illustration online course you will work with a professional illustrator who will help you find your own visual language and unlock your creativity through drawing, from concept to completion.
Each week you will meet online for lively sessions with your tutor and a small group of like-minded students. You will learn new techniques, gain inspiration and practical insight from the work of great illustrators, practice your skills, and share your work for constructive discussion and feedback. You will be guided through a series of tutorials and practical assignments that will help you execute new designs, concepts and ideas.
You will work with a range of mediums including ink, markers, watercolours, crayons and pastels, collage, digital and mixed media, and will learn how to sketch and draw with greater confidence. You will learn how to illustrate the human body, and how to draw fashion garments and clothes.
By the end of the course you will have developed and refined your personal style of illustration and created a range of expressive pieces to add to your portfolio. You will have new skills that will make you a better illustrator, and which can be applied to the development of fashion designs more generally. And you will be able to take pride in being able to realise your visual ideas more accurately and with greater expertise.
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of;
- How to create your own personalised drawing style
- Incorporating structured composition into your designs
- Using multiple mediums to create artwork
- How to utilise traditional methods such as ink, watercolour and pastels
- Using your creativity to create original designs
- How to use your designs to build up your portfolio
- Using original concepts and themes
- Critiquing your work and others within the group
Who is Fashion Illustration (Online Short Course) for?
Fashion Illustration is ideal for creative individuals and aspiring illustrators who are looking to increase their current portfolio or who are looking to find expression through another medium. This course is also ideal for fashion designers who want to develop their sketching and illustrating skills.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time.
Online courses are closed to all new bookings 48 hours prior to the course starting.
- Understanding the role of a Fashion Illustrator
- Developing your Fashion Illustration vocabulary
- Interpreting concepts and ideas
- How to develop your personal illustrating style
- Help with composition and design concepts
- Working with tone, line and negative space
- Using design for mixed media including digital and animation illustration
- Working with traditional mediums such as pastels and watercolour
- Exploring colour and using your personal colour palette
- The importance of keeping a sketchbook
- How to utilise collage
- How to use and control ink
- How to explore the next steps with Fashion Illustration
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- A3 Cartridge Pad
- Graphite Stick
- Soft pencils B2 B4 and such
- Set of markers, skin tone and colour
- Watercolour pencils
- Acrylic or Gouache
- Set of pastels, oil or soft
- Any other art materials, pens and markers
- Fashion magazines, printouts, colour paper, etc
- iPad or Mobile Phone
In addition to the materials listed above, you will need:
- A recent computer with a recent operating system
- An up-to-date web browser. (It would be advisable to ensure you have access to two separate web browsers eg Safari and Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and Internet Explorer)
- Microphone (a headset with microphone/headphones is recommended)
Finally, a good broadband connection is also recommended. (Mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle might not provide sufficient bandwidth).
Further information on the online learning system requirements.