Fashion Design (Online Short Course)
Have you dreamt of designing a fashion collection but you're not sure where to start? This course will provide you with a full overview of the fashion design process and will help you understand how successful designers operate.
Through the live digital classroom, you’ll be guided through where to look for inspiration, how to conduct visual research and interpret visual references, and how to create mood boards that can be presented to clients. Following this, you’ll be introduced to the hands-on design processes from sketching, planning and executing your final design ideas with creative flair.
Each week you will be given a practical, hands-on assignment, and the following week the tutor will provide you with personalised feedback, and the forum allows you to communicate and share ideas with your fellow classmates. By the end of the course you will have gained new insights into how the fashion industry operates and will have single-handedly developed your very own 6-piece capsule collection.
- An overview of well known fashion designers' work
- Illustrating a unique fashion template
- Sketching design details and fusing design ideas
- Formulating your design ideas and the importance of the sketchbook
- Rendering different fabrics and fashion styles
- Learning the full research and design process
- Designing for a demographic
- Creating look books and mood boards
- Experimenting with silhouette and cut
- Exploring print, texture and surface decoration
- Trend forecasting, and colour, fabric, and textile print fashion predictions
- Fabric and colour combinations for capsule collections
- The process of fashion design drawings to catwalk - An overview
- The process of fashion design from the catwalk to the stores/customer - An overview
- Choosing your fabrics and where to source them
"Great experience for my first fashion course and it has definitely inspired me to do much more with my fashion work and keep learning! Thanks to Tina and the whole class" - Sandra, former student
"Tina has in-depth knowledge about the fashion design. She followed a well defined course structure which really helped me, starting with the basics, then progressed towards more advanced topics. I highly recommend!" -Bobby, former student
By the end of the course you will have;
- Developed effective ways to use primary and secondary research
- Presented your initial ideas through mood boards and your sketchbook
- Explored the idea of thematic collections
- Illustrated design details and surface decoration
- Become familiar with the work of the world's best fashion designers
- Learned about the importance of branding, trend forecasting, and colour predictionsand how to incorporate them into your designs
- Designed and illustrated your own capsule collection as a line-up
- Gained an insight into how fashion designs become finished collections for the catwalk
- Received personalised feedback on your assignments from your tutor
Who is Fashion Design (Online Short Course) for?
This course will provide the foundation for your fashion design journey - it will be an excellent way to prepare for further study and gain a valuable insight into this exciting career. You will also have the opportunity to complete work to contribute to a fashion design portfolio. This is a creative course taught by industry professionals. No prior experience is necessary.
Please note: This course is for students aged 18 and older.
Why choose an LCF Online Short Course
Our online learning short courses allow you to experience London College of Fashion wherever you are in the world. The real-time chat sessions are fully interactive allowing you to communicate easily with the tutor at the same time as fellow students. Additionally all LCF Online Short Courses include;
- Live sessions with expert
- Lesson recordings
- Practical assignments
- Personal feedback
- VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 3 months online access
- LCF Certificate upon completion
Please note that all courses are taught in UK time. To check and compare times please click here
Online courses are not available to book on the day they start.
Nikita and Tina Sutradhar founded luxury clothing brand MIUNIKU. Growing up in the city of Mumbai, the designers were a part of rapid globalization, and many of its factors greatly influenced the way they lived and perceived things. Thus it could be said that they have always had an international outlook, which became even more polished from the time they have been in London. In 2009, Tina completed her Bachelors degree in business studies in Mumbai and later that year, went on to do a short course in Fashion marketing at London College of Fashion. In the summer of 2010, Nikita completed a diploma in Fashion design from Raffles International in Mumbai. Later in 2010, both of them went to study a Degree in Pattern Cutting, progressing onto a BA (Hons) Womenswear, at London College of Fashion. They graduated in June 2013. They are currently based in London and Mumbai. The brand name comes from the nick names given to the designers by their parents. Tina - Miu and Nikita - Niku. The overall brand aesthetic is a balance between clean lines and graphic details, mixing minimal and maximal elements. In May 2014, they were awarded the Special Jury Prize at the LVMH Prize for Young Fashion Designers 2014. Tina and Nikita also received the Fashion Innovation Award at London college of fashion (July 2013) and the ISKO™ Denim Diffusion Award (July 2013). They were Semi- Finalists of the H&M Design Awards 2014.
Online Short Course Materials
To take part in the Online sessions you will need:
- An up-to-date web browser (we recommend Firefox or Chrome)
- The latest version of Java installed on your device
- Microphone and headphones (a headset with a microphone function is recommended)
- Strong Internet connection via WiFi or ethernet; 2G, 3G or 4G will not be sufficient
Course Specific Materials
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises please have the following materials/equipment for the first class:
- A4 plain paper
- A4 card (multi colours)
- Glue stick
- Colour materials such as pro-markers, wax crayons, coloured pencils
Guidance will be provided during the first class on additional items to buy.